why can i post in sales

hi guys im looking for a telescope however it wont let me post an add in the wanted section.

it says i dont have permission to post :D.

ive tried logging out and in etc but that dsnt help. anyone know why i cant post. has it something to do with me being a new member

oh i see thanks. is there a form i can post in to get my post count up. i dont want to start spaming in peoples threds for no reason. is it against the rules to post here another 3 times to get to 10 posts. dont want to get in trouble or annoy anyone

oh i see thanks. is there a form i can post in to get my post count up. i dont want to start spaming in peoples threds for no reason. is it against the rules to post here another 3 times to get to 10 posts. dont want to get in trouble or annoy anyone

Not that I know of.

What sort of scope are you interested in ?

Are you interested in a specific aspect fo astronomy or, like many, are you looking a a good general allround scope ?.

EDIT: I see you have another thread running on this so I'll contribute there if I can.

Yes you need 50 posts.

There are hundreds of threads all running right now, join in on a few. Start a few threads of your own. Tell people about the kit you have, what interests you in astronomy.

50 posts isn't that large a number...

Ant

hey peter im only looking to post an add in the wanted seaction. do i still need 50 posts for that?

I responded to another thread last week regarding this but the whole thread disappeared ?

I thought it was 10 but I could be wrong ?

Paul

If you are serious about astronomy and being a part of this wonderful forum, then 50 posts will be simple to achieve. Welcome to SGL and I'll look forward to your posts.

50! thats almost 3 days worth....:D

Seriouslly I think that it about the right number and in some ways its a pity that a time limit of a few weeks "membership" couldnt be used as well...

If your in a hurry to sell something to people you dont know theres always eBay...

All my purchases of here have been from active long term posters who you know you can trust and aren't going top disappear overnight...

Peter...

I agree with the minimum to sell so we can keep dealers at bay, but the wanted section shouldn't be subject to this IMHO. It's only natural a newby will want a scope and the wanted section is a good way to get a deal.

I agree with the minimum to sell so we can keep dealers at bay, but the wanted section shouldn't be subject to this IMHO. It's only natural a newby will want a scope and the wanted section is a good way to get a deal.

But a newbie should and would have alot of questions to ask and be able to build up to the required 50 posts. If you only want to sell or buy and not be a part of the community that is SGL then you can use Astro buy and sell or E-bay.

Hi xibalba and welcome to the group :D

The 50 post rule helps to protect the members from unscrupulous dealers who just come to sell. It ensures the poster has a genuine interest in astronomy - and it will help to protect you once fully endorsed with 50 posts.

To get your count up you can welcome new members in the "intro" section, or offer any advice that you've learned, to other members asking questions in the "help" section. You can also ask your own questions too of course.

Hope that helps :)

But a newbie should and would have alot of questions to ask and be able to build up to the required 50 posts. If you only want to sell or buy and not be a part of the community that is SGL then you can use Astro buy and sell or E-bay.

It didn't toke me 50 posts to find out what I wanted. I got in, read the primers, searched the net and then just made a couple of posts about nebula filters. I probably had 2 or 3 posts when I ordered my gear.

Anyway this is a free service, a great community and I'm fortunate to have a quality free site available and maybe this rule helps towards that result.

What I mean is, more often then not, this rule causes unnecessary barriers and makes the forum look less friendly, as it assumes that anyone under 50 posts haves ill intension regarding the sales section. The way I see it, it causes more harm then good. It's more likely an honest person will not bother getting the 50 posts as opposed to an ill intentioned person doing some posts.

If you ware actually trying to use this forum in an improper way would such an easy to break rule stop you from getting your way? You'd just comment on some pics in the imaging section, not to arose too much suspicion, and be done with it in a couple of minutes.

I tend to disagree, the 50 post rule is here to deter would be dealers just using the forum as a staging post to sell their goods. I agree it does not take much to get to 50 posts, but done in haste this would easily be seen as spam and hence would be given a ban because of it.

I really do think that if you want to take use of this free for sale service that we offer it is not hard to become a part of what SGL stands for.

OK, point taken. But as I said in my 1st post on this thread the rule, although easily breakable, makes sense for the sales forum. The wanted section, on the other hand, can hardly be used for profit and that's the one xibalba was trying to use.

PS-> I hope you guys don't put that spam filter banning accounts automatically or I'll have to drastically reduce the amounts of posts I make here in order not to be banned! :D

I responded to another thread last week regarding this but the whole thread disappeared ?

I thought it was 10 but I could be wrong ?

Paul

I pulled that thread Paul. The thread was an advert for a sale on AstroBuySell that was posted in the "Equipment" section to get around the 50 post rule in the SGL "For Sale" board.

I pulled that thread Paul. The thread was an advert for a sale on AstroBuySell that was posted in the "Equipment" section to get around the 50 post rule in the SGL "For Sale" board.

Thanks for that, it all makes sense now.

Paul

I have to agree with Doc here.

As a newbie I am glad of the 50 post rule and other conditions because for one thing, its provides a useful mechanism to slow the whole purchasing process down a little.

I have been gathering together a modest astro fund to buy my first bit of kit. I am sure this money is secretly filing divorce papers in order to leave my pocket and run away with the latest flashy bit of kit and live happily ever after. But here's the thing, I've got over the surge of wanting to buy, (...just :D) I've joined a local astronomy society and been to a couple of astro parties, all of which has provided observing experience that has allowed me to change my mind at least twice as to what kit I really want and hopefully satisfy my expectations. This forum has witnessed many an enthusiastic newbie buy stuff only to then quickly sell it on for next thing and so on.

This site is free, very helpful and also entertaining so what's the rush - the stars aren't going anywhere (....not that the same could be said for the $*!!*+ weather) Crikey, not only am I beginning get frost bite from my own chill out stance here, but I'm in danger of demonstrating hippy-ish tendencies as well. Better put some Mamma & Pappas on and see if I can find where I left my sandals! :):D )

James:icon_salut:

Archived