Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from North of North Hampshire

MarkF

Hi All,

I live in Berkshire just over the Hants border and have had a bit of time on my hands due to an injury and started researching Astronomy again. Wow, things have come a long way in terms of availability and imaging. I have always been fascinated by the skies at night and in 1995 I discovered the Astronomy forum on Compuserve which ignited my interest enough to buy a Celestron First scope 114mm. I was told I would want a bigger one at the time but having a very young family and big mortgage meant I had to buy what I could afford and this scope and a 2xBarlow David Hind talked me into buying was all I could afford at 450 quid.

After 18 months of struggling to see as much as I wanted with one glass EP and two crappy plastic EP's together with increased commitments at work and family meant I had to focus on other things. But I will never forget my first foray into Astronomy, learning to star hop and seeing things not visible to the naked eye, as well of course my first lunar eclipse and comets.

Looking back through my observing notes and drawings I made at the time makes me want to get back out there with a scope, when healed of course, also kids have grown up and at last I have a bit of disposable income and soon the work situation will allow me more time. I got my now 20 year old son to get the first scope out of the loft, set it up and introduced him to Mars. He thoroughly enjoyed it, more so than when he was 5 ;-) and even found the beehive which really excited him esp as its all upside down and back to front, despite the moon dominating the sky, which we had a look at of course.

So its information overload , as normal when I research something on the net, I would love to do some imaging, I tried with my wet film SLR in 1996 but taking them to boots did them no justice ;-) but I also want to see all the hidden secrets I can first and reacquaint myself to the skies before I splash out a lot of dosh on kit. reading through my notes from back then I will take my own advice as I repeatedly wrote, "need a bigger scope" "need more light", so will be looking to purchase another telescope in time for the winter observing if my interest is still there in a few months in the meantime I can carry on with the 114mm reflector. I am resisting the impulsive, hit the issue head on and buy, buy, buy instinct, I possess for all my hobbies until I know I am truly going to get the time enthusiasm and interest to observe again.

A great forum here, reminds me very much of the ambiance I experienced on the compuserve forum all those years ago when astronomers (prof and amateur) encouraged me to look up and guided me around.

Time to break out "Turn left at Orion" and the "The sky a users guide" as well as the others I was induced to buy to help me.

Regards

Mark

(Near Hampshire)

Hi Mark,welcome to SGL, looks like you have a head start over me with astronomy, I'm starting again after many years, albeit I don't mind spending the old spondoolicks on this new hobby, I don't think I will be having a try at imaging, but best of luck to you, and hope the injury sorts itself out soon.

Phil

Thanks for the welcome everyone, much appreciated.

To Mr. Dobby (Phil) I am not that advanced at all, I consider myself a complete Novice, I am just hoping my lad takes an interest, all my hobbies unfortunately do not interest anyone else in the family. He has said that if we can link it all up to his computer and control it from there and take pictures he would be really interested. I dunno, the yoof of today :D

Archived