Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings

palebluedot

Hi guys,

My name is Lee, I am 39 and live in West Kent. I have been having a good read of the forum lately as I am about to take the plunge and buy my first telescope. I have always been interested in astronomy and regularly go out for a gaze with my 15x60 bins on a photographic tripod.

After a good look I think I am settling for a Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS, I considered the 250 but concluded that it was too much of a handful, I hope I don't come to regret that decision later. As for the mount, I am a big believer of buying once and was going to go for the EQ6 over the HEQ5 in case I do go for something bigger later on. Would this be a good combination or overkill?

Great forum guys, keep it up.

Hi from me too - the 200 is great. A 250 would be better but personally I dont think I could handle a 250 in the field. My 200 (with all its mods) weights a ton and its a real handful to get it up on the mount solo.

EQ6 versus HEQ5 - tough call. The EQ6 would be better but a lot depends on what you can carry or what you want to carry. People often say the EQ6 is not much heavier I disagree having hefted one around.

It depends on stuff like are you have to tote it or will it live in your backgarden. I have to be portable and an HEQ5 is the very limit for me. If I was in a static location (ie back garden) I'd probably get an EQ6.

Hi man , welcome to the forums , everyone here is cool as hell. Nice choice of scope too. I wish i had the money to go for 200P but 150P will do as im a poor student lol ;)

Hi Lee,

A very warm welcome to SGL, if you ever want to image at some time in the future I have to say the EQ6 would probably be a better bet but it is a heavy piece of kit to lug around, unless you can make a permanent set up, enjoy the forum.

John.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Imaging is high on my priority list so it sounds like I should lean towards the EQ6. It's a tough one though, because although I intend to use it in the back garden, keeping it in the shed, I would have liked to have the option to be mobile.

Archived