NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New scope neurosis - Anti-Drop Devices?

Since purchase of my MAK150, I have been revisiting unpleasant thoughts of accidentally dropping my "baby" onto concrete. Anyone actually practice safe techniques re. mounting or retaining their scope in situ? Not awfully convinced my dovetail screws etc. Handles? Fabric straps? Perhaps a cable attachment to LIMIT any potential falls? Do you bother with such things? :)

It could be worth putting something on the scope dovetail either side of the mount so that if the screws come undone the whole thing cannot slide out. Maybe just a small bolt into a tapped hole would do? To be honest I don't do this but my 200P + 80mm refractor combo is quite heavy and would make a big bang if dropped!!

What I have done, which is very good, is to put "anti fatigue matting" on the floor of the obsy. This will protect me from damaging eyepieces etc when I drop them - which I will do eventually!.

I know the feeling of worry. My method is to think before I move the scope, prepare the pathway to the obsy, get the saddle plate orientated properly, announce to household that I am soon to be under way and ensure that the cat is not around under my feet. Then I think again. 'I will not drop this telescope. I will watch my own feet... ' A zen moment and then... Go!!

Olly

PS George Willis Ritchey, no less, lost control of his first big comission RC mirror and his assistant lost a couple of fingers as a result. If it can happen to GWR...

I don't really need the one on the dual-mount bar, as it has end-stop blocks anyway, but the prospect of the entire two/three scopes + cameras etc sliding the 5 inches until it hits those blocks, doesn't fill me with confidence that the tripod and mount wouldn't topple as a result of the sudden jolt, so, my Anti-Disaster Bolts® in (in)action :

post-17238-133877438318_thumb.jpg

I've put a couple of bolts through my dovetail to stop any potential slide, although this is very unlikely as the clamps are tightened using molegrips.

My whole camera and filter wheel setup once slid out of the focuser, but fortunately the cables stopped it falling all the way to the floor!

Stuffed me right up for shooting flats though :)

Cheers

Rob

Last night I made a carrying handle for my 10" SNT:

DSCF6775.jpg

Which makes taking it out through the door a lot less stressful, and mounting, although it wasn't exactly hard, easier.

Also bump stops on the Dob mount to protect against shocking the collimation should the balance go during EP changes, now that I have "proper", heavy, EPs.

If you use losmandy type, (which I can recommend for any scope that needs secure mounting) there will be plenty spare holes through which you can drop a pin or sockethead bolt... I have used a loop of heavy duty single core electrical wire with a twist to secure also.

Steve

Olly's nailed it.. a pair of clean dry hands and a sober calm and deliberative approach.

I know the feeling of worry. My method is to think before I move the scope, prepare the pathway to the obsy, get the saddle plate orientated properly, announce to household that I am soon to be under way and ensure that the cat is not around under my feet. Then I think again. 'I will not drop this telescope. I will watch my own feet... ' A zen moment and then... Go!!

Olly

PS George Willis Ritchey, no less, lost control of his first big comission RC mirror and his assistant lost a couple of fingers as a result. If it can happen to GWR...

I must have tempted fate. I came down to my office today and the telrad had dropped onto the floor (I leave it fixed on my dob). that'll teach me to buy double sided foam from the £ shop! thankfully no harm done.

I managed to drop an eyepiece onto the concrete patio last night. By a fluke it landed on the rubber eyecup and remained upright. But I'm now thinking of some form of carpet/matting to put the scope on.

They do say if it can go wrong, it will!

Dave

Thanks for some good ideas. I like particulary Zen approach - Reminding myself of PRECISELY what I'm supposed to be doing, before starting! On a personal note, I decided to invest in one of these:

Prismenklemme DX - GP Level - stabil - Basis für Schnellkupplung - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung (sic) :D

Slight overkill, but a bit more convincing than it's smaller sibling. Plus the KNOB is different. In the darkness, I have been known to start undoing the scope dovetail clamp, thinking I was loosening the azimuth tension knob on the Giro mount... :)

Archived