Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More Synscan questions

I have just bought a HEQ5 syntrek however, i also have a AZ goto mount. Does anyone know if i can just download the EQ firmware to the handset and use it on the HEQ5 and vice versa when i want to put it back on the AZ mount? (i'd like to use the AZ for a grab and go). I just thought this would save me the money of buying one to make it fully goto when i don't have my laptop with me (have EQmod). Also what exactly is the lead i need for downloading new firmware because the only one i seem to have has 2 RJ-11 connections and doesn't do anything!

One final thing, does anyone have any thoughts on whether a HEQ5 will handle a OO SPX 250? only for visual work?

Much obliged

Adam

I understand the Synscan alt/az and eq handsets are identical except for the software. I remember reading a thread a few weeks ago by someone who had done a sucessful conversion by just downloading the s/w fron the web. Can't find the link though - if I do I'll post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Although they look the same on the outside, the AZ handset is wired differently internally to the EQ version. The Az handset uses a 6 pin plug and the EQ uses an 8 pin plug to connect to the mount.

If you ever think of selling the AZ handset and getting the EQ version I would be interested in the AZ one.

John

Successfully downloaded the EQ firmware to the AZ hanset and plugged in the new cable into the mount and it all works fine! Hopefully this will clarify things a bit better for people who did not want to risk their handsets and save money! I have also reverted the firmware back to AZ with no problems so i can use my AZ as a grab and go and the HEQ5 with the Intes MN68!!

Happy days!

Adam

Yes, it wipes any settings that were previously on there, which i suppose if you had a lot of user defined objects saved would be bad but for me having to put the co-ordinates in again is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Adam

Just to confim this, I've managed to flash a EQ h/s to Alt/Az. The only problem was as I had a SupaTrak mount was trying to source a cable for the AZ mount, but managed to make my own. Big improvement to the original h/s.

Archived