Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The better of two scopes?

I am suddenly in a position to buy a used refractor. I am looking at three OTAs, a 102 f/10, a 105 f/9.5, and a 127 f/8. They are all within my budget but the 127, at about 9kg is at the extreme upper limit for my mount (EQ3-2). So, the 102 is a Synta, and the 105 is advertised as a "Antares Vixen Research Grade 105mmX1000mmfl f9.5", and has a "Mgf2 multi-coated Fraunhofer doublet." It is about twice the price of the Synta, but I am leaning towards it. All I know about the Synta is that it is a 102 f/10.

Do you reckon the Antares/Vixen is worth twice the price of the Synta?

Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Warthog,

having owned a 102mm Vixen achromat i can testify to the fine quality and what were textbook diffraction rings. in fact looking back at a drawing of jupiter i did in the mid 80's, it was a very good planetary scope. si i would expect the 105 to be of similar japanese quality optically. i like antares stuff, well made and very competitive prices. for me it would be the 105.

regards

mike

Thanks! I was kinda pressed for a decision, so I bought the Vixen/Antares 105. I hope I don't regret it, because I'll never be able to explain to Mrs. Warthog that I don't like the scope, after she went ahead and agreed to let me have it. She'd let me have it right between the eyes. Somehow, she thinks $450 is a lot of money for a scope.

I have an EQ3-2 on the wooden tripod. It turns out that's what the previous owner was using with the scope. Previously I had a Meade cheapie that came with the 4.5" reflector. It may take a while to save for an EQ5, though.

The vendor called me last night. He's a very nice man from London Ont who has just too many scopes and is getting rid of the ones he doesn't use much. He tells me the doublet in the scope is made of "telescope glass" made by Vixen in Japan, rather than the "optical" (i.e. spectacle) glass used in most Chinese refractors. The scope was assembled by Antares, and he says it has hardly any CA at all, and what there is can easily be fixed with a -violet filter.

This guy's a senior RASC member, with a good reputation, so I am buying with confidence. I've sent the money to my daughter in London, who is going to arrange to get the scope today or tomorrow. I believe I am actually excited about the prospect.

The vendor called me last night. He's a very nice man from London Ont who has just too many scopes and is getting rid of the ones he doesn't use much. He tells me the doublet in the scope is made of "telescope glass" made by Vixen in Japan, rather than the "optical" (i.e. spectacle) glass used in most Chinese refractors. The scope was assembled by Antares, and he says it has hardly any CA at all, and what there is can easily be fixed with a -violet filter.

This guy's a senior RASC member, with a good reputation, so I am buying with confidence. I've sent the money to my daughter in London, who is going to arrange to get the scope today or tomorrow. I believe I am actually excited about the prospect.

Vixens are nice scopes, generally better than Syntas, but the phrase "Mgf2 multi-coated Fraunhofer doublet" is just another way of saying "modern achromat", pretty much all achro refractors are Fraunhofers and coated with Mgf2 or something that does the same job. You could describe the Synta using exactly the same words, so don't let the fancy spiel push you either way.

Also the "glass" part that Steve has quoted doesn't make sense either.

And don't get me started on the phrase "research grade"... :laugh: It means nothing in this context.

I'm not saying don't get the Vixen, they are fine scopes, but don't be dazzled by the BS either... :wink:

Well, I've sent the money, on the strength of the early posts that suggested the Vixen was considerably better than the Synta. I'm sure I won't be disappointed, as I won't get to look through the Synta. And, OH, Captain, that wasn't the word. :laugh:

I did a little research, spurred on by your comments :laugh: and found that I haven't done so badly. Several marketers of this scope all use the 'research grade' blurb, and my fav parts site, islandeyepiece.com is selling the objective lens, with exactly the same description as the one used for this scope, for $425, about 3 times what an ordinary objective of about the same size sells for. The OTA sells for $650 US new, or about $750 Cdn. I believe you are right, Gaz, and I'm getting what I paid for. My eyes need all the help they can get, eh?

Another useful bit of info I found is that this OTA weighs 7.2 lbs, well within the capacity of my mount.

I may or may not get it this weekend, depending on whether I go to London, or my daughter comes to see me, but if I don't get it immediately, that will give me time to pick up a diagonal.

There is that "telescope" look that long refractors have about them, it kind of says "I'm a telescope" whereas the other designs just don't.

Looking forward to the reports when your new toy arrives, you always manage to share your experiences WH in a way that makes me feel included.

Enjoy it when it comes and let us know how you get on.

Captain Chaos

Archived