Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

no detail on mars

hi, i need some help on mars i am using a skywatcher 12in dob with nirvana eyepieces 4,7 and 16mm but all i can see is a bright disc. i have colimated my scope, should i be able to get any detail or do i need to buy any filters

tanks david

You should be able to see some details on Mars with your equipment. I was using my 10" newtonian tonight (no filters / Tele Vue eyepieces) and I thought the seeing very good on Mars with the northern pole cap and a number of darker surface features visible including syrtis major.

Assuming that you have found no improvement over a number of nights, and have let your scope fully cool before viewing Mars, I can only think that the collimation is still off - in fast scopes collimation errors can kill contrast definition very effectively.

You could try a filter like a moon filter to reduce the glare of the planet a bit. I find observing through light, hazy cloud cover gives great views.

I think I'd have another look at the collimation as a 1st step.

I found my first look at Mars was very disappointing until I used a filter. I used a good moon filter and saw lots of detail. Subseqent views were without a filter and gradually I started to make out more surface features. The more you look the more you see!

I would check collimation and try a moon filter to get you started.

Allan

My 1st real view showed no detail. Gradually over a few nights i began to be able to pick out some detail such as polar cap and dark area on surface. "Seeing" also vastly improved over those few nights which really helped. I tried a couple of coloured filters but they made Mars almost vanish. I must try my moon filter.

i turned my scope to saturn and picked it up right away, it was a beautiful sight but mars is still to bright, im going to buy a couple of filters hopefully that will do the trick. thanks for the advice guys.

from my very limited experience with Mars, it's an object that needs to be watched intensely for a few minutes and you eventually start seeing things in moments of clarity. don't keep fiddling with the focus either, just get it focused on a nearby star and then back to Mars and watch......

if you can, don't track it - difficult with a dob at high mags - let it come into the field and drift across - you'll see more that way in my opinion. also, sit down to observe - makes a massive difference.

it's moving away now of course so smaller every day (I think)

Archived