NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great UK locations with very low light pollution?

gobes

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We spent a week at Woodhouse Farm campsite near Ripon last year, and although it's only about five mile out of Ripon, it's dark. It's on the edge of the moors which go over to Pateley Bridge.

There is minimal lighting around the site and you do need a torch to go to the toilet block. Big pitch's and great facilities. (Three types of Black Sheep draught at the bar)

We will be going back this year and taking a scope.

My brother runs Astroadventures!, Yes the skies are great on a clear night, had the use of the scopes.

dobserver

We just came back from a fab week at AstroAdventures near Bude, in Devon.

Great location, pool (we went in Feb, so the kids had to break the ice on top!!) and swings etc for kids, and loads to do locally. Plus dark skies and the use of a 20"dob and imaging set up for the duration. Not badly priced either. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

AstroAdventures - Self Catering Astronomy Holiday in Devon UK

I remember my brother saying someone went swimming!

I can see the milky way most nights (apart from full moon) , Andromeda is naked eye and you can have difficulty making out the constallations due to the amount of stars on really good nights .Going by the recent Dark sky map given away with S@N it shows around mag 5.75-6.00.

If i drive away from the village 5 mins i recon its darker ;)

Middle of North Devon , half an hour from everywhere.

I would say the Lake District is very good for little light pollution.

When it's not cloudy (the only negative - it's a mountainous area), I often see the Milky Way and many distant galaxies. Even on hazy summer nights, you can at least see the main constellations.

Hi Lee

No im not im afraid , i havent had much luck with Astro societies.I turned up to an open evening at one society with a 8 inch sct and goto and it was if lucifer himself had unpacked his scope.It was very clicky ;) , needless to say i didnt go again.

NDAS meets up Sticklepath doesnt it

Archived