NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Messier marathon?

acey

I tried at Kielder last spring and was romping through loads of Messiers but lost the will somewhat when I was ploughing through Virgo... I ended up diverting onto other objects I really wanted to see like M13, M57 and never completed the rest...

This year, if the circumstances are right I'll be giving it another go and will be a little more disciplined!

James

We have one annually here in South Georgia (weather permitting) This year's will be March 12th-14th.

I have found 109 in one night. M 30 rose just a little to close to the sun that night.

The trick is to not let the Virgo group intimidate you. While there are lots of Galaxies in the area, the Messier objects are all very bright and large. You can see many of them in a good finder or binoculars. I starhop from M59-60 up and back to the east, then edge back to the west and up to get the rest. Use M87 as a center point and you have it made.

The objects that I always have the hardest time with are M68 and M 83 in Hydra, as neither have great finder stars. M74 is also a bother. It has very low surface brightness and is usually in the sunset when you start, or, into the Zodiacal glow. You will want to make very careful plans for that one. After M74, the rest is a doddle.

This year, I think I will give the Messier objects a miss and just work on my Caldwell list.

If the weather is nice though...I could hit that 100 mark again!

I wanted to come to the Wilts Astro messier marathon but Mrs GP is studying for an exam and therefore expects me to look after my own children while she cracks on with the books. As I am worse than useless when tired from all nighters, she would end up doing all the nipper duties anyway.

I pointed out that I didn't get married to look after my own children but I now worry for vandalism of the scope itself!!

It sure sounds like fun, though, albeit as a one off experience. I like the approach of using both binoculars and a telescope as you can move quite quickly though the sky with the complimentary equipment.

Have fun,

Mark

Always wanted to do a Messier marathon but skies just wouldn't allow it. I have the all round clear horizons to attempt it but the LP is too severe.

Finding the time for an all nighter is another major headache. Two kids to look after would mean no time for a lay in.. I would be dead on my feet.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived