Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Webcam capture software

rwg

My real problem with this sort of request is not that it's impossible, simply that I don't have the camera to experiment with :p

Robin

Bernard is selling them (I bought it from him).

Maybe you could ask him for a QHY5(v) demo model temporary on loan, so you can make it work with Sharpcap. :D

It's a wonderful piece of capture software you wrote. So I am sure that it would make a lot of QHY5(v) owners happy. :evil6:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bernard is selling them (I bought it from him).

Maybe you could ask him for a QHY5(v) demo model temporary on loan, so you can make it work with Sharpcap. :)

It's a wonderful piece of capture software you wrote. So I am sure that it would make a lot of QHY5(v) owners happy. :p

Seems kind of cheeky to ask for something like that ;) However, if anyone has one who is also capable of a spot of C/C++ programming, it seems likely that you could build a DirectShow source filter that would read data from the qhy camera and forward it to SharpCap.

Various useful documentation :

QHY5V programming samples with openCV

How to Write a Source Filter for DirectShow (Windows)

DSGraphEdit: A Reasonable Facsimile of Microsoft's GraphEdit in .NET - CodeProject

Robin

Seems kind of cheeky to ask for something like that ;) However, if anyone has one who is also capable of a spot of C/C++ programming, it seems likely that you could build a DirectShow source filter that would read data from the qhy camera and forward it to SharpCap.

Various useful documentation :

QHY5V programming samples with openCV

How to Write a Source Filter for DirectShow (Windows)

DSGraphEdit: A Reasonable Facsimile of Microsoft's GraphEdit in .NET - CodeProject

Robin

Well, there should be someone in your vicinity (UK) that could lent you one temporary so you can program QHY5(t)(v) support in your capture software. :)

I just live all the way in Norway and it already took a week to get the camera from the UK and just got it. Don't like to lose it for a couple weeks just yet already. :p

You could also try PM either QiuHY or Tom van den Eede on the QHYCCD forums for some help on this?

I myself I am not a programmer (way too impatient for that lol) and just a IT System Engineer.

Well, if you don't mind testing things out, I don't mind trying to code this up. Might take a while to get it right, but should be possible.

cheers,

Robin

Well, if you don't mind testing things out, I don't mind trying to code this up. Might take a while to get it right, but should be possible.

cheers,

Robin

Yes ofcourse! Im working fulltime during the day.

But I am home usually around 16:00 CET.

(Except tomorrow I go watch Holland in the Half Finals and try find a pub with some dutch people here in Oslo hehe ;))

I got MSN, so if you sent me a PM with your details, I'll add you.

I will happily test things out. And I am sure there are others here with a QHY5 to test it out too.

As I have a QHY5v, so would be handy if someone with the regular QHY5 is able to have a crack at it too :)

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, I've tried your prog on my XP laptop and get two separate windows with camera in one and a blank one where the control panel should be. I also get an error :- Unhandled exception has occured in you application, and Object reference not set to an instance of an object. .Net framework is installed also. I can see the camera working but not the controls. Any ideas?

Ron

I have the same problem on 3 XP machines (a laptop, a netbook, and a desktop) I am using a Phillips Toucam 840 Pro.

Great concept. I hope you can sort it out :)

Hi there,

if it crashes, it *should* display a big message like the one below - copy all the text from the scrollable text box part of the message and send it to me via PM and I can usually work out the problem and fix it. If it doesn't display this message, then I'm confused... :)

PS. When you unpack the .exe, unpack the .pdb file to the same folder too - that makes any crash error messages more informative.

thanks,

Robin

post-18322-133877466875_thumb.jpg

Hi George,

it's sort of on my to-do list, but it's moderately awkward - some things it's easy to set the colours on, and others (like the window borders) can't be set at all easily, so you have to hide them and draw your own :)

Robin

Just downloaded it on my Astronomy laptop. Up and running straight away and seems to be working the Orion StarShoot II fine. hope for a clear dark night over the w/end to try it out properly.

Any plans to make the desk top icon a bit more fancy?

• 4 weeks later...

SharpCap 1.0.11 is now released, including an adjustable reticule overlay, and (drum roll...) a fancy icon.

I've started a new thread here : http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/112757-sharpcap-free-astro-webcam-capture-software.html because its obviously becoming hard for people to find the important links to the latest versions with them buried half way down page 3 of this thread. Please can we continue discussions in the new thread rather than here.

thanks,

Robin

A big hats off to Robin for this software, I know he's put a lot of work into it and it's a brilliant piece of work, I use it all the time, it's simple, works perfectly and does everything it says on the tin. Credit where it's due, nice work Robin.

• 5 months later...

Hi RWG I have just dowloaded your sharpcap prog and although it works on my windows 7 laptop with the built in webcam it stops working when I try to get it to work with a Philips spc880/900 Am i doing something wrong as I don't know much about webcams Thanks Richard Fleetham

Hi Richard,

what actually happens? Does the camera appear in the list of cameras to choose from or not? If you choose the camera does the program crash with a message?

cheers,

Robin

Keith,

from the look of the product page, it is likely it will work as the camera seems to have a DirectShow mode - quite how much functionality will be availble in the right hand control panel I don't know - it depends on how much the developers of the camera driver have exposed and whether they have done it in a standard way or not. It's worth a try, certainly.

Robin

• 1 year later...

Archived