Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Cluster - Naked Eye Visible?

Kain

Something I noticed a few nights ago now when I had the scope out, I have only just thought about it again lol.

Is the double cluster in Perseus a normal naked eye object?

I was looking for it a few nights ago, and I could see a faint fuzzy patch, when I liked up the finder with the area in question it was indeed the double.

I have never heard anyone mention that you can see it as a misty patch, it certainly doesn't say anything about it in the books I have.

Kain

Yes, it is a cracker if you have a dark sky. I can see it most nights I am observing. If I can't , then I know I might as well pack up and go home :laugh:

Still it is at its best in a good pair of Bins - I get a great view in my 11x80s. A friend of mine swears it is the best sight in the sky through his 20x100 Bins (although these are so heavy he is having to construct a special mount for them - as his arms tend to drop off after 10 seconds and his photo tripod has had to be rushed to intensive care, due to the weight of the Bins)

On good nights it is visible from my LP back garden in London. :laugh:

The best view I ever had of it was Last January when we had the Artic blast. The seeing and transparency were excellent and the DC could be seen with direct vision.

This doesn't happen very often :wink:

But it's a sign that the sky is really clear.

It is (was) also known as Chi Persei as it was assumed to be a star in ancient times

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

It's a good indicator of viewing conditions as the others have said, certainly under reasonably dark skies it is visible to the naked eye.

Spent an hour last night with the 10X50's and it showed up very well, better through the 120 f5.

Naz

Archived