Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn - magnification advice

iamjulian

I think because I am so aware of the floaters I find them difficult to ignore. A snowy really shows them up, and observing bright objects. General day to day indoors I'm aware but they don't bother me too much.

My 150mm Mak has an fl on 1800. Under good conditions I can use a 6mm Orthoscoptic EP which gives me 300x which gives good surface detail on Mars. Especially with an Orange filter. Recently purchased an Orange Wrattan (six quid off Ebay as opposed to £90 for a TV Bandmate) - bargain!

Jarvo

• 11 years later...

You must have been using a 2x Barlow with the 6mm eyepiece to achieve the 250x?. As the 6mm eyepiece alone will give you 125x considering that the focal length of the 150P is 750mm

Edited by bosun21

On 26/02/2022 at 02:40, JoshofJericho said:

I'm really new at this, however, it's my understanding that a 6mm EP with a 1200mm scope would give you 200x.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The focal length of a 150P is only 750mm. Unless it’s the Dobsonian then it’s 1200mm

Edited by bosun21