Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seasonal Skywatching

This is obviously a really easy question for all but the newbies. Only having had my first scope a couple of weeks, is the winter time the best for views and looking etc? I'm looking forward to some warm weather finally coming and having some long nights out where i don't have to wear a continental quilt! i know it goes darker later but are the views still as good or better or worse?

This is obviously a really easy question for all but the newbies. Only having had my first scope a couple of weeks, is the winter time the best for views and looking etc? I'm looking forward to some warm weather finally coming and having some long nights out where i don't have to wear a continental quilt! i know it goes darker later but are the views still as good or better or worse?

From polar latitudes it generally is best in the winter and cooler seasons for several reasons. One, the nights are longer and deeper (darker). Two

the winter climate is more amenable to better seeing and transparency. Three the summertime is generally none of the above. Four I'm sure there are more reasons but that could be something for you to discern off your own bat :-)

I've found that I've had good nights at pretty much any time of year barring the two months without proper dark sky from here! Although the very best night I has was about this time of year. It does depend mostly on how the weather is behaving to be honest.

Tony..

I've also had fantastic nights in Feb. Just not this Feb. The rainy season (some people still call it Summer) really has not been good to us for a couple of yrs now. It doesnt get dark til near midnight in Dublin so its not really my cup of tea.

Ah i dont know really. Its all good once there are no clouds.

When that is??????

Damned if i know.

I observe all year round, not fussed, as long as it's clear and quite dark. Limited to a short period during the summer, midnight - 2am. I'm sure i read that some of the best planetary views can be had through the summer months. Certainly had some cracking sessions through the 'unofficial off-season'.

Crystal clear winter nights were fast becoming a thing of legend. The winters of 2001-2008 were awful. Mild, wet and cloudy. 2004-2006 had autumn/winters that were almost completely clouded out from late Septmeber to March. This is the first winter in years that has lived up to the Myth that winter nights are best. Lets hope we get a couple of good winters on the trot now.

Archived