NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 + 10" Reflector - Will it / Won't it ???

daz

Some people think it will, some think it won't.

If not, why not???

(My mount is less than 2 years old, which I am led to believe is better than the previous version)

Thoughts and comments encouraged :laugh:

Been looking at the Revelation 8 or 10 inch, although the 10 no longer appears on Telescope House's site :?

I wasn't sure if it was down to wobbles or motor capacity. The former I could do something about but the latter is more serious.

Thanks chaps :laugh:

I would say that unless you have or invoke the goto you should have no problem at all. What would mess up the HEQ5 is the acceleration of such a large mass, rather than the continuous slow movement of said mass. Without goto if you just use the motors for tracking and slow aiming you should be fine.

I had the Skelescope on my HEQ5 and it worked OK once it was balanced for tracking, but I daren't do a goto as i was fairly convinced that something would break. I was concerned about the EQ6 as well but that just laughed and does gotos without a skip.

The failure mode of the HEQ5 when overloaded BTW is to skip a step of the motor, not to shred the cogs. (Sorry Arthur, that's a technical term)

Balance the 'scope and the motor load is very small if just tracking.

HTH

Captain Chaos

People do have that set up, so it must be at least "OK" for visual.  I wouldn't fancy it,  although I'm a bit of a "wobble [removed word]"!

It works. I put a Skywatcher 10 inch on HEQ5. It is Ok for  visual observing. It is also the limit. It will surely not work for imaging.

I use approx 16-17 kg counterweights, you can balance the tube, get the right counterweights...

However once i was in a very open field and it was very windy, then it did not work out so well, however even a 16 inch dob would'nt stay steady then, it was really windy.....

I use it now over 2,5 years, sofar the motors are fine, never had any problem with them....

I have the initial version of the HEQ5 not the 'GOTO' version...

I use 8" GSO Newton (9.5 kg) on HEQ5 Pro mount with no problem. I also consider to buy 10" GSO Newton but telescope weight 15.5 kg which I think is too much for mount. I consider also that with finder, eyepiece, rings and Telrad weight come close to mount limit. With my 8" GoTo work like a charm, but with 10" I think I can't use GoTo. But otherwise I see on astronomical day that on guy imaging with HEQ5 black mount with Rajiva upgrade, SkyWatcher 10" Newton and guide scope with no problem at all. But I think that Rajiva upgrade is good quality and SkyWatcher 10" newton is only 12 kg.

Saso

I use 8" GSO Newton (9.5 kg) on HEQ5 Pro mount with no problem. I also consider to buy 10" GSO Newton but telescope weight 15.5 kg which I think is too much for mount. I consider also that with finder, eyepiece, rings and Telrad weight come close to mount limit. With my 8" GoTo work like a charm, but with 10" I think I can't use GoTo. But otherwise I see on astronomical day that on guy imaging with HEQ5 black mount with Rajiva upgrade, SkyWatcher 10" Newton and guide scope with no problem at all. But I think that Rajiva upgrade is good quality and SkyWatcher 10" newton is only 12 kg.

Saso

Yes, the skywatcher newton is 12,5 kg, so with cradles it comes about to 13.5 kg-14 kg at most

The best would be to mount an Orion optics tube, these are still a whole lot lighter...

Well, I've just been offered a good deal on the Revelation 8, so that solves that little problem!!!!

However, the Rajiva page makes for interesting reading though..........

:laugh:

The failure mode of the HEQ5 when overloaded BTW is to skip a step of the motor, not to shred the cogs. (Sorry Arthur, that's a technical term)

I didn't know that, nice feature.

I don't think that its deliberate, its just what happens when the nasty setting circle design locks up, or when the 'scope hits a leg of the tripod.

Captain Chaos

I do mate - but was looking at the Revelation for the mirror quality - 1/6th PV over the skywatcher 1/4 (maybe, if you're lucky!!!)

Something like an Orion Optics is well outside my budget at the mo, and the Rev's have had some good reviews, so......

• 2 weeks later...

Or buy Orion Optics scope. They are much lighter. I consider that option too, but price is a little over my budget. :laugh:

Saso

Yep, The HEQ5 would indeed offer better support to a 10 inch OO tube. Might be an option for me if the OO 8 inch i have on order turnes out tobe as good as advertised....

Archived