Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wonderful Mars!!!

Paul G. Abel

Greetings everyone!

Well a clear night (of sorts) finally arrived! Initially conditions were good, the sky clear and transparent, and seeing around AIII. Alas, this didn't last long, and soon thick cloud piled in! I managed to get a drawing and some intensity estimates through the gaps in the cloud, but there were long periods of time with almost total cloud cover. Perhaps tonight will be better! Anyway here's the drawing:

Mars_090210_PAbel.jpg

Highlights of the observation include the following:

-NPC slightly smaller- distinct brighter regions within.

-Boreosyrtis being a dark prominent feature

-The base of Utopia and Boreosyrtis quite dark,

-Elysium bright on Proc. disk.

-Bright equatorial cloud muting the dark Syrtis Major.

-Mare Cimmerium and Mare Tyrrhenum dark and well defined. Aeolis bright region.

-Electris and Eridania brighter than Hellas- indeed Hellas was rather vague and ill-defined. Only the boundary of the Mare Hadriacum gave its location.

Wonderfully detailed drawings Paul. I was out with the SCT last night and also used the binoviewers for the first time. I was dodging clouds too and 10mins was the longest continuous session i could manage. That said i'm happy to report for the first time i can match a lot of what i saw to your drawings.

I have a form made up now and also a set of pencils......going to try my first drawing shortly, hopefully tonight if all goes well.

Russ

Thanks Russ, I shall be out drawing tonight if it clears- we must compare results!!!!

JupiterMartin, the drawings by you and Dweller25 should appear on the BBC1 version of the Sky at Night, so I'm told!

I think Mars is fast becoming the visual observers planet!!!!

Hi Paul,

hehe i'm not sure about the comparison bit ;) I may give my draft copy to my 6 year old son so he work on the superior final version. ;)

After a slow start Mars has really grabbed a lot of peoples attention. It really has put on show this time round.

Russ

I've observed Mars "properly" for the first time ever this year. I think the fascination is that it looks the most like an earthlike planet, you could imagine looking at Earth from Mars with our kind of scopes...what a sight that would be:p!

Great sketches and images from everyone...my personal favourite is Towa's composite Martian map - stunning, and done with a vintage 3" refractor at F15 - simply the best FL in my view with which to see close detail on a planet..

I've observed Mars "properly" for the first time ever this year. I think the fascination is that it looks the most like an earthlike planet, you could imagine looking at Earth from Mars with our kind of scopes...what a sight that would be:p!

I can hear fellow Martian's Bob and John chatting in an astro lounge........"Those damn clouds, obscured the northern hemisphere, summit awful last night"....."yeah John, and there was me, hoping to finish off my sketch of that large landmass, 'tween the two oceans"

:glasses1:Andy.

Well i got nothing last night. It was clear as a bell, no probs there. But the wind was a constant 15mph and gusting (a lot) to 30mph according to the weathermen. Felt worse than that. The SCT was shaken and stirred, couldn't keep the view still long enough to see anything other than the NPC and Syrtis Major. ;)

Oh and it was bitterly cold too. So i gave up pretty quickly.

Russ

Immense Paul. The detail you've captured is stunning. That equatorial cloud across Syrtis Major is a real treat. I think it is the capture of the more transient features like clouds, dust storms and changes in the PCs that fascinate me the most about Mars. Well done ;)

I have finally been able to join in the Mars-fest. Whilst I've been able to pull a decent focus and see defined dark areas, I haven't gained, yet, sufficient magnification to attempt a sketch. I will see if I can barlow either my 6.5mm or 4mm tonight, weather permitting.

Glad everyone is getting something out of Mars! I was able to go out again last night and we had some good conditions- Mars at 400x is simply stunnig! It seemed to me that Eridania, Ausonia and Hellas had a bluish tint to them! Here's the drawings:

Mars_100210_PAbel.jpg

All those who haven't started drawing Mars yet- better make a start soon, the disk size has already started to decrease. If seing is average, and your 'scope can support it, I recommend a power of 250x to begin with.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Archived