Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan Goto external power tank suggestion

Hi all,

I need some suggestions for an external power tank to use with the Synscan Goto mount.

According to the spec the Power Requirement is 12v DC 1Amp Power Supply (Tip Positive).

Been searching on the maplins site but not been successful in finding any power tanks.... probably me just searching incorrectly.

I've seen the normal AC/DC power supply adapters which supply 12v 1200mA which I'm not too sure whether it'll be sufficient or not.

Could someone please recommend me a power tank to use.

thanks

B

Here's the link:

Heavy-Duty 5-in-1 Jump Starter : In-Car Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

Unfortunately it seems to have gone up in price - when I got one last year they were £45 - dunno if that was a special offer or if they've just wised up to what they can get for it.

However it's still considerably cheaper than the astro brands - just keep it topped up with charge regularly to avoid needing "deep cycle" recharge.

Hey I got one of those 3 - in - 1 jumper packs from maplins, except mine is yellow, and I power my Syncscan Alt-az perfectly and it tracks really well and drives the scope strongly. Only defference is mine is a 130mm reflector not the mak. Hope this helps. and the cable is tip positive so safe for using.

ah brilliant... feel even better knowing that it's powering the Synscan properly... There is a yellow one which has an air compressor. The black one doesn't have the air compressor.

I don't really need the compressor so will have to get the black one when the scope arrives.

• 2 years later...

Biggest problem in cleaning the mirror with air would be those dots that can't go only with blowing. Stains from humidity that caught dust or dirt and also flies' sh*t which is really annoying and goes only with glass cleaning liquids :grin:

As of the power supply, I have 12V 1000mA adapter, took exact as advertised and so far didn't encounter any problems. Don't have battery pack but may add it soon, although I believe the car lighter adapter they included with telescope is sufficient on the field. Place the scope near the car and you can use the hood as a table :)

Archived