Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got me binoculars oot

ChrisMiller

Hi how are you all, just new here so here goes. Been into wanting to find out more about the skies for a long time now. Got me Binoculars at the ready, had a good look at the moon, very interesting i might add through a set o binoculars, Fair distance up from the moon right up in the sky is a really bright white star, looked at it through the binoculars and it dont look like the rest o the stars, any ideas or is this to little to go on. Im in edinburgh Scotland so if that hellps with positioning etc, Gonna get myself some begginers books to read up on. Well see ya all about, cheers, Chris

Thanks for the welcome folks, No red in the star I saw, it was a pure brilliant white that was hard to focus on properly, Well when I say hard to focus on I mean it was as if there was more to see but I could'nt see it. Would love to know what im looking at and looking for, but I suppose that will all take time

Aha, Result, Downloaded Stellarium, and Mars is in the exact place that I saw the Bright star. See learned one thing already, t wasnt a star that i saw. How happy am i. Was gonna go out to see it again and take the laptop with me so i could see others but too cloudy just now

If you find Cassiopeia with your binos and slowly work your way towards Orion, you'll see millions of stars, that be the milky way and it's mind blowingly FULL of stars.

Also, from Cassiopeia, looking at her as a "W", the right hand "v" points towards Andromeda. Below the "V" there is another bright star, follow a line from the bottom star of the right "V", through this other star and continue slowly. You should come across a grey, smudgy cloudy thingy. This is the Andromeda Galaxy. It is rather underwhelming at first, but when it sinks in exactly what you are seeing, with your own eyes, I think you gast will be well and truely flabbered.

Well done Chris - I'm glad you id'd mars - watch it's position in the sky change over the next month or so as earth overtakes it in it's orbit round the sun. It appears to go in reverse for a short while.

Have fun with it for a few hours each night and as it gets later you'll see saturn around midnight in the same area of sky you started at. Prepare for a jaw dropping experience lol :)

Archived