Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with the Genesis Televue...

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

Been having fun tonight with the Genesis since the moon came up.

First, had a great view of the moon with the 40mm and 26mm + x2 barlow - stunning! The craters were so crisp and clear :)

I couldn't wait till sun-down to start imaging though, so put the H9 on, and snapped 100x0.02 seconds through Ha/Oiii/Hb filters.

Here is the result:

2010-01-26-NarrowbandMoon-Ha100x0.02-OIII100x0.02-Hb100x0.02-Process1-ColourSmall.jpg

For the purests, here is a black and white version, Ha only:

2010-01-26-NarrowbandMoon-Ha100x0.02-Process1-Mono.jpg

So, its looking good so far - very crisp and clear. Can't wait to get it on some deepsky objects - problem is, its looking quite hazy tonight - can anyone recommend a good globular for me for later on?

Cheers,

Richie

Richie,

How do you fit your Genesis on on the mount?

If found the original TV clamshell to be pretty "soft".

Ended up using 5" scope rings, padded out ( or should I say - in) with a couple of layers of cork gasket material.

Now I have a real snug fit on the pearl tube and the Vixen dovetail for the HEQ5.

Ken

I went with a pair of 4" scope rings from Telescope House. I wasn't happy with the clamshell idea, as Olly knows!!

Ideally, I would like to ditch one of the ring and use the clamshell, but time shall tell!!

Have you mounted any finderscope on yours? If so, how??

Cheers,

Richie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie,

No, never bothered with a finder... a low power eyepiece seems to work for me. The Genesis 500mm focal length with a 32mm TV plossl = x15, exit pupil of about 6.5mm ( the 40mm plossl is too low a magnification, exit pupil 8mm)

Ken

Interesting....

Of course, I don't use eyepieces normally - it was fine aligning with my Meade 5000 40mm, but for the camera, i need a red-dot finder for the first alignment point.

Ah well - for now I've mounted it on the Side-by-side bar...

Richie

Richie,

If you wanted a finder...

What about an old 50mm lens and the QHY5 mounted on top of one of the scope rings...

I tried it out ( to help find and verify faint spectroscope star targets) on the 8" sct and I was pleasantly impressed with the outcome.

Ken

Nice idea Ken!

Unfortunately, I have my DSLR mount on top of the rings already, so its kinda cluttered at the moment :)

Still - it works with an RDF on the side-by-side bar, so thats ok....

And yes John, it was kinda a copycat of yours that gave me the idea! Sorry!

Richie,

On my original TV Systems mount, I ended up putting a small "dual" bar ( from a length of 12mm x 30mm aluminium channel) across the top of the clamshell to support a couple of SLR's

You could do the same on your support rings. Pity to waste all that good tracking capability. ( or use one side for the electronic finder?)

Ken

Archived