NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Abbreviations, etc.

Not according to the DVD forum (official homepage of the DVD Consortium). DVD Primer It's Digital Versatile Disc.

I don't want to steer this thread off course any more than I have but it would appear that Toshiba, who maintains the DVD Forum page refers to the DVD abbreviation in this way although there's no official concensus of definition across the consortium as such. Mishmich was correct about the spelling BTW (By The Way) - any optical storage media should be "disc" not "disk".

DVD is just one of those awkward tech abbreviations like "Wi-Fi" (which doesn't mean anything either).

I guess it's payback time now...

IC = Index Catalogue, an addendum to the NGC (New General Catalogue)

FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions

Planetary (you may see these on planetary images)

CM = Central Meridian, that's the line of longitude running down the exact centre of the planet from your location.

Ls/Lsun = Planet-Sun angle as measured from the northern hemisphere spring equinox. Ls=0 means the planet is at spring, Ls=90 means the planet is experiencing summer in the northern hemisphere, LS=180 for the northern hemisphere autumn equinox and LS=270 for northern hemisphere winter.

F = Following, referring to features that are closer to the limb where new features are rotating into view, than P Preceding features which are closer to the limb where features are about to rotate out of view. Basically, features on the following limb are coming towards you while those on the preceding limb are moving away from you.

RGB Image is built from separate red, green and blue filtered images

R(G)B You might see this with a Mars image and it means that only red and green were truly imaged during the session, the green channel was synthesised artificially.

LRGB An RGB image augmented with a luminence channel. Actually, I have no idea what this means in reality as taking a true unfiltered luminence channel on a planet is pretty pointless IMO (In My Opinion).

RRGB An RGB image that uses the red channel for luminance (now this makes much more sense!)

IR-RGB An RGB image that uses an IR (Infra Red) filtered image for luminance.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started doing a copy and paste to a txt file of all these abbreviations when I seen people were copying the list and adding on their own, I gave up!! Will stick to the Wiki and if I don't understand what DVD, CD, VCR, ROLF, PMSL, LOL and suchlike every day abbreviations stand for I will be really worried :) .

Jim

Interesting - I couldn't find this when I looked. Had a quick browse - nothing like 'OTA' in there. This is not a glossary - it is a list of abbreviations, acronyms, etc. that people use so that people new to the forum can look them up when first encountering them. The glossary, as it stands, does something else. It explains the terms they stand for.

M.

v.0.3

Acronyms and Abbreviations associated with amateur astronomy and associated equipment

Common terms:

OTA - Optical Tube Assembly

Newt - Newtonian reflector telescope

Frac - Refractor telescope

Dob - Dobsonian mounted reflector telescope

EP - Eyepieces

DSO - Deep Sky Object

RDF - Red Dot Finder

FR - focal ratio

Mounts & Guiding:

GEM - German Equatorial Mount

Alt-Az - Altitude-Azimuth (mount)

OAG - Off Axis Guider

Refractors:

ED - Extra-low Dispersion (glass)

Apo - Aprochromat(ic)

Achro - Achromat(ic)

Doublet - (2 lens assembly)

Triplet - (3 lens assembly)

Catadioptric optical systems:

SCT - Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope

Mak - Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope

RCT - Ritchey-Chrétien telescope

SNT - Schmidt-Newtonian telescope

KCT - Klevtsov-Cassegrain telescope

Filters, Flatteners, Reducers:

FF - Field Flattener

FR - Focal Reducer

CaK - Calcium K Line

H-A/Ha - Hydrogen Alpha

HB - Hydrogen Beta

OIII - Oxygen Three

SII - Sulphur Two (Sodium & Mercury)

LPR - Light Pollution Reduction

CLS - blocks light from street lamps, passes other visible light and H-alpha emissions.

Astrophotography, imaging, video related:

DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex

CCD - Charge-coupled Device

LCD - Liquid Crystal Display

LED - Light-emitting Diode

CMOS - Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor

CCTV - Closed Circuit Television

HDD - Hard Disk Drive

USB - Universal Serial Bus

RS232 - Serial Port/cable

HD - High Definition

RGB - Image is built from separate red, green and blue filtered images

R(G)B - You might see this with a Mars image and it means that only red and green were truly imaged during the session, the green channel was synthesised artificially.

LRGB - An RGB image augmented with a luminence channel. Actually, I have no idea what this means in reality as taking a true unfiltered luminence channel on a planet is pretty pointless IMO (In My Opinion).

RRGB - An RGB image that uses the red channel for luminance (now this makes much more sense!)

IR-RGB - An RGB image that uses an IR (Infra Red) filtered image for luminance.

People, positions, organisations, places:

PI - Principle Investigator

SPM - Sir Patrick Moore

FLO - First Light Optics

SGL - StarGazersLounge

TS - TeleskopService

Catalogs:

M (1 to 110) - Messier Catalogue (by Charles Messier)

NGC - New General Catalogue (by J.L.E. Dreyer), 7,840 objects. Includes IC I & IC II - a further 5,326 objects

C (1 to 109) Caldwell Catalogue (by Sir Patrick Moore)

IC = Index Catalogue, an addendum to the NGC

Other:

CM - Central Meridian, that's the line of longitude running down the exact centre of the planet from your location.

Ls/Lsun - Planet-Sun angle as measured from the northern hemisphere spring equinox. Ls=0 means the planet is at spring, Ls=90 means the planet is experiencing summer in the northern hemisphere, LS=180 for the northern hemisphere autumn equinox and LS=270 for northern hemisphere winter.

F - Following, referring to features that are closer to the limb where new features are rotating into view, than P Preceding features which are closer to the limb where features are about to rotate out of view. Basically, features on the following limb are coming towards you while those on the preceding limb are moving away from you.

I know people use SWMBO a lot here, and if people feel it important to go beyond terms connected with astronomy itself, fine. But I don't personally feel inclined to include such things - because that is a vast project in its own right. IMNSHO.

M.

Archived