Scope recommendations?

Im looking to get a scope thats good for a beginner and a bit of a jack of all trades. I would like to look at all kinds of objects in the sky and get a pretty good result all round. I have 2 choices so far that are the Skymax 127 and the Explorer 150. I would just like your thoughts on the two. Also is it possible to hook up my DSLR camera to them.

Thanks for the help

pretty good result all round
Taking the above words from your brief as the crucial part, it would have to be the 150P. It's a great all round scope that will excel on most objects and will also hook upto the DSLR beautifully. You will need a drive(s) on the EQ3 mount to track the sky and make use of the DSLR.

The 127 is a lovely planetary/lunar scope but it's view of the faint fuzzy stuff (galaxies, clusters, nebula) will be inferior to the 150P.

Russ

A good 6" newtonian is a good choice as it has enough aperture to give you pleasing views of the brighter Messier objects, and does well with planets and of course the moon.

First Light offer this scope - which looks a good beginners setup.

Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

Not sure of your budget - which would help others to recommend.

Chris

thanks for your help.

I was looking to spend up to £300 but if there is anything significantly better for a little over that im all ears.

If you want to hook up you camera than the EQ mount route is pretty much a necessity* but if you weren't so bothered about that you could get the 150's 8" big brother on a dob mount for under £300 or even the 10" for less than £400 (presuming you are fit & healthy to hump a 10" tube around!)

* there are alternatives such as eq platforms but I hear they are a bit of a faff. The eq3 is probably right at it's limit for imaging with the 6" and you may want to stop thinking about imaging before you end up with a second mortgage! (Bigger mount, observatory, guidescope etc)

If you aren't looking to image yet you could always buy an eq mount for a dob later but you'd be looking at a heftier mount for the bigger scope too.

Like the others here - I'd go for the 150 (with a parabolic primary) - just recently sold mine very reluctantly. They're portable, quick and easy to set up, great views for a beginner (as I was 3yrs ago) and you'll be able to attach the dslr. If light is problem at your location - get a light pollution filter for a tenner (well worth it).

You'll need tracking for snapshots though - £300 to £350 should cover everything if you shop around.

I'd go for the 150 (with a parabolic primary)

I'd go further & reccomend the long focus version (Explorer 150PL) which is much more tolerant of budget eyepieces, is much easier to collimate & more likely to retain its collimation too.

The EQ3-2 should be OK for visual & webcamming Moon & planets unless your site is exceptionally windy.

For deep sky imaging, start thinking at £1000 ....

I'm also a newbie and recently set myself up with a 150p, which I am more than happy with. I opted for a slightly heavier duty mount, the EQ5 as I have aspirations of doing some (basic) imaging in due course.

I can't recommend the 150p or its longer focal length sister the 150pl enough.

Thanks for all the help, it looks like the 150 will be my purchase.

I just have to decide on the p or the pl now. Does the motor that is an addon track the objects when you find them?. Is there any other things that i should get with it or are those things enough to be going on with.

Brian has outlined the main advantages of the PL (easier on eyepieces, less critical on collimation).

Here's the advantages of the P:

Shorter tube - easier to handle, easier to look through in some positions. Less stress on the EQ3 (lever arm stress). Possibly easier to store.

2" Crayford - smoother than the Rack & Pinion fitted to the PL. Can take 2" eyepieces and accessories.

Short focal length - P is capable of high magnifications with the right eyepiece and can also show lovely widefield vistas. The PL physically cannot do this, simply impossible because of the long focal length and 1.25" focuser.

Imaging - the 150P could be a good scope to start DSLR imaging with, the 150PL would not. The PL would make a good planetary imager but the P could do this too.

Perfomance wise the P can anything the PL can do but also do somethings the PL cannot do. It's easier to handle, has a better focuser and kinder on the mount. The PL can counter that by being easier on the eyepieces, more forgiving on the collimation and a smidge (tiny smidge) better contrast on the planets.

Russ

Scarecrow

i think you've come to a good decision so far between the Skymax and the explorer. I have a version of the Symax and i enjoy it on planetary and double star observing. It is less suitable for DSO's although very usable.

You've probably already appreciated that there is nothing simple in choosing your first scope. Such a wide range of options coupled with uncertainty in your future direction eg imaging or observing, planetary or DSO's. Both Brian and Russ have set out well the pro's and con's of the 2 SW150 options. I'd add one further point. The scopes themselves are in the longer term not the most important purchase. What is more important ultimately is your choice of mount. If you want to future proof yourself AND if your budget runs to it at this stage, get the best mount for your scope as you can.

HTH

Steve

Thanks for all the info guys. I think i have come to the decision of saving a bit more and getting the Explorer 200p with the EQ5 mount.

As then i get the better mount for taking pictures and also a better scope. Im going to wait a month or two and try and learn the skies first. I have a star map in the post so i hope i can get to grips where everything is first.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think i have come to the decision of saving a bit more and getting the Explorer 200p with the EQ5 mount.

As then i get the better mount for taking pictures and also a better scope. Im going to wait a month or two and try and learn the skies first. I have a star map in the post so i hope i can get to grips where everything is first.

Excellent decision indeed :)

well i picked up a set off skymasters binos 15x70 and a couple of books for now. Thought i would have a nightmare knowing where anything is but after some research i found Orions belt and couldnt stop looking at it. Fantastic views tonight of that and the moon and really enjoyed myslelf.

Question about stellerium. How do i input my coordinates properly?.

If google maps tells my mine are 51°37'27.50"N is it the same in stellerium becuase that puts north first N 51° 31' 12.00". Also the time is set correctly but its showing up as daytime at night?

Thanks for your help

I dont know if it handles .5 but otherwise its the same. Dont forget to go into the configuration window and choose "save settings" after you set the date and time.

Are you using the 12hr clock? I put Universal time in (24hr clock) and night comes round normally. I dont know if fiddling with other settings (eg light pollution) affects this. I also use the default guerrins landscape, otherwise I guess you need to play around a bit with settings.

I picked up a cool little iphone app up the other night which is very cool.

Its called starmap and is just like stellerium but you can view it anywhere and it pinpoints your location. Its £6.99 but is worth every penny.

I have Starmap pro on my iphone too, I have found it to be invaluable when out with the scope. Its a brilliant little app!

Archived