NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope size limit for SLT mount?

johnnyp

Hi all

Im lookin for peoples experiences with the slt mount. I have the 102 which i am enjoying but would like an additional ota more suited to planetary viewing. What would be the max size this mount can take?

I had possibly the 127 skywatcher mak OTA in mind if i come across one. Would somethin like this give much better views of planets than the 102 refractor supplied with the mount? Or would it be worthwhile going bigger? (Assuming the mount could cope with the weight)

cheers

John

I reckon the 127 mak would be OK as it's short and relatively light. Tube length is as much of a factor in working out mount capacity as tube weight. The 127 mak is a very good planetary scope and, assuming that the 102 refractor is the short tube type, will I feel give superior planetary and lunar views. They take more time to cool down than a refractor and do need a dew shield though.

I think a larger scope would be too much for the mount and would affect it's operation and may damage the gears.

I had an SLT 102, and TBH the mount only just coped - if I attached things like a DSLR I had to weight the front to regain the balance as there was no room to adjust the dovetail. However, it was my first and both scope and mount are an excellent introduction.

I was looking for a scope for planetary viewing myself, but in the end decided to go for a EQ mount that would cope with whatever I wanted to put on it. I sold on the tube, but kept the mount, because it works quite well as a grab and go mount for my ED80. It works much better with the ED80 than the 102, because with the 102 it is just about at the limit of its capabilities. With a lighter tube there is more room to add a camera and so on. Getting the alignment right it can track pretty accurately.

When I was looking, I tried to get hold of a 5" SCT or Mak, but these never seem to come up, and new they were not cheap. The other problem you might encounder is the angle it mounts at. Most of these OTAs come with the dovetail attached to the tube 'underneath', not at the side as per the SLT/SE mounts. What would be ideal would be the Mak that comes with the Skywatcher Alt/Az GoTo, as that should just slot in the same way - but people don't seem to sell these without the mount.

M.

I had an SLT 102, and TBH the mount only just coped - if I attached things like a DSLR I had to weight the front to regain the balance as there was no room to adjust the dovetail. However, it was my first and both scope and mount are an excellent introduction.

I was looking for a scope for planetary viewing myself, but in the end decided to go for a EQ mount that would cope with whatever I wanted to put on it. I sold on the tube, but kept the mount, because it works quite well as a grab and go mount for my ED80. It works much better with the ED80 than the 102, because with the 102 it is just about at the limit of its capabilities. With a lighter tube there is more room to add a camera and so on. Getting the alignment right it can track pretty accurately.

When I was looking, I tried to get hold of a 5" SCT or Mak, but these never seem to come up, and new they were not cheap. The other problem you might encounder is the angle it mounts at. Most of these OTAs come with the dovetail attached to the tube 'underneath', not at the side as per the SLT/SE mounts. What would be ideal would be the Mak that comes with the Skywatcher Alt/Az GoTo, as that should just slot in the same way - but people don't seem to sell these without the mount.

M.

The mak that comes with the skywatcher goto is just what i had in mind, but like you say i havent seen any for sale as an OTA separate from the mount. The mount seems to cope ok with 102, (im new so dont really know any different lol) well im happy with it anyway:)

The longer focal length and bigger aperture of the mak appeals to me for planetary stuff so i will keep my eyes open.

cheers

John

Stay clear of the 5" SCT as you lose so much contrast because of the secondary.. sure its light enough for the SLT (just) I have had that one on there also!.. but its not a great planet scope.

I reckon the 127 mak would be OK as it's short and relatively light. Tube length is as much of a factor in working out mount capacity as tube weight. The 127 mak is a very good planetary scope and, assuming that the 102 refractor is the short tube type, will I feel give superior planetary and lunar views. They take more time to cool down than a refractor and do need a dew shield though.

I think a larger scope would be too much for the mount and would affect it's operation and may damage the gears.

Yes its the short tube type. i hadnt thought about tube length being a factor, thanks for that

John

Celestron have just released the SLT with a 90mm and also 127mm MCTs so it seems they are saying the 127mm is OK for the mount.

--

Martyn

Just seen it on celestrons website, unbelieveable! i posted a thread about this not long ago! Just the thing i wanted. And just after ive bought a 102 slt:(

That's the Mak, not SCT. I think you'll find the Celestron Mak is pretty much the same scope as the Skywatcher - but I have heard that the Celestron GoTo is easier to align than the Skywatcher. It's academic anyway - the question is whether the 5" Mak is available as an SLT compatible OTA.

M.

No thats a MCT, Synta who own Celestron are now selling a Celestron branded Synta 127 MCT on the SLT mount. I was wondering if Skywatcher will sell Skywatcher branded Celestron SCTs on AZ-GOTO mounts.

Peter

Im with you now :)

Johnnyp,

Be aware that the way of mounting the 127 varies depending on which mount it was bought with, you may need to buy an adapter to make it work with the SLT mount.

The used 127 I bought came from a Supertrak mount so it worked fine with the SLT.

--

Martyn.

I've got a Skymax 102 SLT mounted on the NexStar. It works ok for visual but for webcam imaging of the moon, the tracking isn't really up to much. I have used the NexStar SLT with both my ST80 clone and the C80ED attached both with and without the 450d on the back. With the ST80 and 450d, it worked well, that's about 2.5Kg weight and short tube. Not so well with the C80ED, although I might have got it better with some adjustments here and there, but that combination weights about 1Kg more, and is quite a bit longer. The simplest thing to do to ensure balance, is to buy a medium or long dovetail, and appropriate size tube rings. Quite cheap, allows plenty of movement for balance, and will work with beefier mounts without issues, when/if you upgrade.

I find with the Onyx, if using an extension and barlow as well as DSLR or CCTV camera, the imaging setup can stick out the back nearly the same length of the scope. I have a set of wrist weights, and one of those wrapped around the dewshield tends to balance things out - but I am sure it would be better with a dovetail and scope rings. But with an EOS1000D in prime focus it seems OK. The EOS1000D on its own seems (to me) no heavier than a diagonal, eyepiece and barlow.

M.

Johnnyp,

Be aware that the way of mounting the 127 varies depending on which mount it was bought with, you may need to buy an adapter to make it work with the SLT mount.

The used 127 I bought came from a Supertrak mount so it worked fine with the SLT.

--

Martyn.

Thats good to know, the 127 from a supatrak would be perfect for me then, as good as celestrons new 127 SLT :)

Archived