Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galaxies to observe list

mdstuart

Good afternoon

I am still working on my listing of galaxies for the observer.

I have found that magnitudes and surface brightness are not always as good a guide as one might imagine.

So here is my updated effort. It starts with category 1 and then gets harder as you go through the categories..

Enjoy..I have put it on google docs as this was suggested in one of the earlier posts.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjYp5nWTbPIidFI2R3h6NWg3c29NVE9YTWI2QUZPT3c&hl=en

Mark

Who knows people might one day put this in their signature.

Mark galaxy list 155/155!:)

Hmm... still can't decipher some of them... What does "! eB;eL;E 156;gsvmbM;BN" mean... I think it's extremely bright, extremely long, elliptic 156??, gradually suddenly?? very much brigther middle, bright Nucleus.

Is that nearly right?

I think so but I must admit to not being an expert. I have been focusing on the brightness element at the moment so the extremely bright comments but again I find some galaxies which are marked vF are actualy brighter to me than a cB galaxy etc...

Mark

I am not sure but perhaps the angle that the galaxy presents itself to us with 0 being north and so on?
Yes, that is it. Also, suddenly can be replaced by abruptly in the above descriptions, so we have:

! eB;eL;E 156;gsvmbM;BN = remarkable, extremely bright, extremely large, elliptic at 156deg, gradually (brightening from edge) suddenly very much brighter in the middle, bright nucleus.

Remembering it all will be a pain :)

No NGC 891 is not on my list as it was a category seven galaxy. These are galaxies that are tough even with a ten inch scope. So those that need you to use averted vision to pick out. I have logged 90 of galaxies that fit this bracket...so far...

I have seen 891 but I could not see it in my 5 and then 6 inch scope. I thought it would be easy in my 10 inch but no...It needs a low power eyepiece as its too large for say a 9mm ortho. Then if you look very carefully with averted vision when its high up you can just see it..So cat 7..

Of course that man in Hawai can see it with his 3 inch refractor so perhaps I am being to hard on this fabulous edge on galaxy....

Mark

Archived