Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please help before I end up giving up on this altogether!

Got a skywatcher 130pm(second hand from here) and am totally lost as to how I am meant to use it, am I being thick or are the intructions seems way to complicated? :(

I had a nice easy fork mount set up before requiring no brain but it was shaky and unclear hence my upgrade but after a few nights of being miffed with it im ready to get seriously mardy :hello2::p

To add insult to injury I come on here and see there are a few folk who have had one from new and are flying with em which leads to believe its defo me :)

It is set to 53 degrees and moves over left or right and up but that is it so I cant scan the sky like I did before and actually cant find a thing other then random stars, is there an idiot guide somewhere I can start with please? :)

Have you got it polar aligned ?

If not check out the polar alignment guide Simple Polar Alignment for Beginners

You need to do that to get the mount to track.

An EQ mount moves somewhat differently to an Alt/Az mount. An alt/az goes up and down and left and right so it forms a cross like this +

An EQ does the same but it moves at angles like X because its aligned to the latitude that you are on. Its still up and down and left and right but just tilted over.

Have a read of the guide and ask again if your still stuck.

Hi, I cant move my scope left to right and up and down only down to 53 degrees which is up in the sky and then only over in a sort of arch if you know what I mean??? I thought I would be able to move left and right in a straight line to find things first so as it is I cant even find 7 sisters to test it out.

There are 2 locks on the mount, one on each axis. If you unlock those the scope should move about those 2 axis which enables you to cover the sky. The movement of an equatorial mount takes some getting used to though - especially if you are used to the simplicity of an alt-azimuth (fork) mount.

Can I just add it would be a really good idea for you to set up and practice using it in the daylight of course it goes with saying DO NOT LOOK ANYWHERE NEAR THE SUN with it

but if you practice moving it about during the day you may well be surprised just how much it will help you gain confidence for using it for real give it a try you will soon get to grips with it then

hope this helps you

Clear Skies

Ok, thanks so much, I will look for the locks next time I get the chance and hopefully get pointing at something worth while :hello2:

No probs mate - keep at it - it's a good scope with more potential ultimately because it's got the EQ mount - it just takes some figuring out - especially if you don't have a manual !.

I think this one might cover your scope / mount to some extent:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/13.pdf

Well many thanks once again looks like I should know where the locks are now, just to unwind em and get it working will try tomorrow hopefully as I have left scope in parents conservatory till I find somewhere decent to go and view it is just appalling here at the min I cant even see polaris or the dipper which I cant remember the name of lol.

Dont suppose you can tell me why the red dot finder has no dot? Just does nothing for me, I know I should align it up first im gonna have a look tomorrow its just I dont see anything anyway can see why it is called that.

for the red dot finder when you turn it on, if you keep turning you raise the brightness of the dot. also check if the battery makes contact with the contacts of the rest of the finder. also bear in mind that if you look at the red dot finder at a wrong angle with your eyes you wont be able to see the red dot. a good test to check the red dot finder during daytime is to remove the finder from your telescope and at a dark room of your house try the things mentioned

I didnt know you had to turn it on actually no wonder I could not see anything :):rolleyes: I am indeed a numpty, I am hoping to get up to my folks tonight and have another blast as orions belt come up quite early there so I want to have a look at rhe messier thing in there if I can find these locks and get it moving all around so I can find something :)

.....if I can find these locks and get it moving all around so I can find something :)

Find out how the mount works and practice using it in the daylight - you won't be fumbling around in the dark then.

I think this might be of help to you - Setting Up an Equatorial Mount - McWiki if you click on each section it has lots of great info.

I am hoping to get up to my folks tonight and have another blast as orions belt come up quite early there so I want to have a look at rhe messier thing

I think you mean M42 it's below Orion's Belt, if your parents skies aren't to polluted you should see a line of faint stars below the 3 stars in Orion's Belt - thats Orion's Sword, M42 is in the middle of the line roughly. :)

Check it out in Stellarium first if your not sure.

Cheers

Hi thanks for the tips, I saw it a while ago on my astronomy course when we had a night observing. Couldnt tell you what through though lol Cant wait to have a look at saturn and the 7 sisters, not sure why I like that one so much. Getting dark now but as usual getting very hazy:rolleyes::)

Hey Ollienttm,

I dont know if you remember but it was me who sold you the scope, I'm sorry to hear you've been having some teething problems.

The EQ does take some getting used to, I found unlocking the two big nuts (RA and DEC) to "scope" the sky was the best way, and then tighten them and use the fine controls when I had an object in the sights.

Like I said to you when I met you, the Stock SW red finder is ok, but possibly may need replacing as I hear there are better ones on the market.

If you do have any problems and need a quick fix, then I am more than happy for you to give me a ring on my mobile if you still have the number and I can see if I can assist in any way.

I got some great views of the orion nebula, Jupiter, the Pleiades and M31 from that scope, so I know it's up to the task. Like I say though, the EQ mount can take some getting to grips with, but I'm sure when you get the hang of not only have the X style axis to move along, but also considering the scope sees things upside down and back to front, it'll all work out in the end.

If you haven't got my number any more then let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Cheers

Hi, thanks for advice, I couldnt remember who it was and have had my phone updated since so I didnt have your number to ring :)

Anyway, I have found the lock at the bottom and can now scan the sky :mad: Shame that as soon as I found how to use it the snow hasnt stopped :) Ah well, I am read for action just as soon as the sky picks up a bit. I cant believe how much help is on here its great I would of been lost without it, oh and just for information how do you turn the red dot thingy on? I have had a look and found a switch but nothing happens so wasnt sure if I had the right switch, I got by without one before though so not sure if I need it anyway.

Thanks again :mad:

The red dot will have a small knob on the right hand side at the back. Its a small wheel with a white dot on it. It should click on and then turn for brightness.

If its not working it probably needs a CR2032 type battery put in it.

The red dot increases in power the more you turn the knob, so maybe try that? I'd be suprised if the battery's already flat I only used the scope a dozen or so times and always turned the rdf off. Having said that I haven't a clue what the life expectancy of that kind of battery does have.

Battery life is pretty good - check if your eyeballs are working ok with the red dot.

Have a look along the red dot finder from the front looking back. On the bottom rail of the finder there is a msall square bump. It should have a very bright red light on that faces towards the front (the bit with the glass). You should be able to see it easy.

If its not on - the battery is dead of the finder is broken. Dead battery much more likely.

If it is on then you need to learn to use the finder a little. When using the red dot hold it about 1 foot away from your eye and move it around you should see the red dot appear when your eye is in line with it - think rifle gun sight. Once your eye has acquired the red dot open the other eye and you should see the red dot superimposed on yiour view.

You'll need to do this is a dim room at first not in bright sunlight. Even at max intensity the dot is still relatively faint unless in a dark room.

Ollienttm,

In addition to the advice about finders, if you are not sure about how an EQ mount should move around in your mind's eye, this link may help. The little videos, really just animations at the top of the articles' pages, are good about showing how an EQ mount spins around to different areas of the sky without its "central tube" ever leaving its target, the North Star, or Polaris.

Don't give up, you have a great scope that will reward your diligence. I have been at the point you are. Think of it like a challenging puzzle that your are deterimined to see to the end. It may actually take a just a few minutes with another amateur on-site for things to start clicking for you.

Hold your course!

http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/

Archived