NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Wycombe.

orby1

Hello all,

I've been lurking about on here for a while so I thought I'd better finally join and say hello. Here's a bit about myself.

I'm in High Wycombe & have seen that the local club meets just a couple of miles down the road from my house, so I plan to toddle along one night in a while once I've soaked up a bit more knowledge and climbed ever so slightly up the ladder from 'total utter novice'!:)

I was given a telescope, I have no idea what make it is, and it must easily be 20yrs old, on a wobbly wooden tripod! I could aim it at the moon, and an eclipse could come and go before the damn tripod stopped wobbling - it's a refractor, about 8cm across the front lens, probably 75cm long, with 6mm & 20mm eyepieces and a 2x barlow. I can make out Jupiter's 4 main moons with the 20mm EP but the barlow and 6mm EP just blur everything. My 10x50 bins are a better tool, to be honest...

I got 'Turn Left at Orion' from Father Christmas, along with a red-light head-torch, and I've been reading the last couple of Sky at Night magazines. I have Stellarium on my PC which I find invaluable, and very very gradually, I'm taking things in - figuring out how the solar system works, finding my way round the night sky with my naked eye, etc. In the last few weeks I've spotted Mars, Saturn, Jupiter obviously, and last night Uranus with my naked eye, so I'm slowly getting somewhere, you know?

Anyway, it's good to be on the forum, I'll look forward to chatting in the future.

Julian.:hello2:

hi julian, and welcome to the site. this is the best site full of informative people. if you can i would get a better scope and stand, nowt worse than an image that wont stay still and a very quick way of losing interest. chat to you again .

peter.

hi julian, and welcome to the site. this is the best site full of informative people. if you can i would get a better scope and stand, nowt worse than an image that wont stay still and a very quick way of losing interest. chat to you again .

peter.

Hello Pete,

yes, I know a far better 'scope is called for. I'm paying a lot of attention to people on this forum when they review their equipment, or just chat about what's good about this one, what's bad about that one, etc. I have a good catalogue too which explains the different kinds of 'scope.

I want to spend a while just learning my way round the sky & learning a bit more about the whole subject of astronomy before I buy, though. I'm hoping that over time the right 'scope for me will become apparent.

When I take the plunge it may well be some kit bought 2nd hand from someone on here, TBH. There seems to be some real bargains in the 'for sale' section - beginner's level kit bought by enthuiasts who have cared for their telescope and are moving up to something bigger and better, etc.

:hello2:

Hi Julian,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I would take the plunge and visit your local Astronomy club sooner than later, it does not matter at what level you are at, they will have a wealth of knowledge to help you and maybe their own obs and telescopes to lend out to members etc. whatever you do enjoy the forum.

John.

Archived