Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meteor Shower?

spacetrace

Anyone seeing faint shooting stars towards ursa major? I know there is going to be a shower peaking on the 6th Jan I am sure I have seen a few already but they are very faint so I cannot be sure. If others have seen the same then I know im not just havinbg an episode :):hello2:

Mars and Saturn are viewable in the South East - Saturn after midnight.

Comet 81P/Wild2 is visible in Virgo in morning skies - also Comet Siding Spring in Bootes:

81P/Wild2 / Jan 4th / RA 12h 16.9m / Dec -0° 45'

Siding Spring / Jan 4th / RA 13h 53.0m / Dec +27° 08'

:hello2:

If you open Stellarium and hit the letter Z and the letter E, you will get the Azimuth (Z) and Equatorial (E) grid overlaid on the sky so you can find those co-ordinates - then you will know where to look.

-0° 45' is tricky as it will be near the ground so may depend on the height (above sea level) of your viewing position.

• 2 years later...

am just setting up my newly bought 150mm newt because of the shower is coming and that its an unusually clear night for Beijing. With the temps down to near "too cold" i think this will help me stay out late. it helps that i am in my yard.

for the shower, i have to move away from my yard as my building blocks the north view however for now i have plenty of things to see

jupiter

m45

m42 GREAT :)

and some clusters that i am familiar with

i was reading my chart book by Wil Triton and found that his book is filled with many great objects that I would now be able to see :)

after using binoculars for so long. hehe

clear skies all!!

keep warm !!

The first meteor shower of the new year is the Quadrantids peaking during the pre dawn hours of Friday the 4th of January, that’s the Thursday night after midnight. They radiate from a point between constellations Bootes and Draco

and the weather looks to be on my side :grin: :grin: :grin:

Mars and Saturn are viewable in the South East - Saturn after midnight.

Comet 81P/Wild2 is visible in Virgo in morning skies - also Comet Siding Spring in Bootes:

81P/Wild2 / Jan 4th / RA 12h 16.9m / Dec -0° 45'

Siding Spring / Jan 4th / RA 13h 53.0m / Dec +27° 08'

:hello2:

My app says Saturn doesn't rise until almost 3am,

Is that right?

Archived