Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transporting a telescope

Seeing the excellent link on here that maps out dark sky areas, has brought this to the forefront of my mind.

The nearest truly dark site to me would be about a 30 minute drive away, this would mean transporting my skywatcher heritage scope via car.

Are there methods people use to move their scopes around, that could minimise knocks, bangs etc. to the scope? Special carriers perhaps? Or would it just be a case of placing it in the box it came in and hoping for the best?

Seeing the excellent link on here that maps out dark sky areas, has brought this to the forefront of my mind.

The nearest truly dark site to me would be about a 30 minute drive away, this would mean transporting my skywatcher heritage scope via car.

Are there methods people use to move their scopes around, that could minimise knocks, bangs etc. to the scope? Special carriers perhaps? Or would it just be a case of placing it in the box it came in and hoping for the best?

Hi Chris

already took mine for a drive mate - it looked like little R2D2 sat there beside me on the passenger seat, with his seat belt on.

I needed to get to an area I know so I could focuss on a mast several miles away. I was going to wait untilI got an erecting eyepiece but went ahead.

The scope was secure on the seat and operated perfectly well.

I've been thinking about this ever since I got my scope. Unlike say digital photography where everything is geared towards transporting your kit I haven't seen anything like it for Telescopes. I find that odd given we live in such a light polluted country especially down here in the SE.

But also what if you wanted to really travel, say down to the more mountainous regions of Spain, France, Italy or travel further north for example - even just to Scotland to some of our best dark sky areas.

Hi Chris

already took mine for a drive mate - it looked like little R2D2 sat there beside me on the passenger seat, with his seat belt on.

I needed to get to an area I know so I could focuss on a mast several miles away. I was going to wait untilI got an erecting eyepiece but went ahead.

The scope was secure on the seat and operated perfectly well.

:hello2: You put it on the seat with the seatbelt around it? I'm trying to picture that, and oddly it seems it could work

:hello2: You put it on the seat with the seatbelt around it? I'm trying to picture that, and oddly it seems it could work

It was the safest way. Tube secure on dob mount, and the whole lot strapped in. The only worrying thing about it is that I found myself talking to it - look, moo cows! :)

It was the safest way. Tube secure on dob mount, and the whole lot strapped in. The only worrying thing about it is that I found myself talking it - look, moo cows! :hello2:

:) Brilliant. Can just picture the Police stopping you and you introducing R2D2 :)

That is literally how I am going to move it, problem solved:icon_salut:

Anytime I transported my reflector I put the mount in the boot and lay the OTA down on the back seat, with seatbelts on and padded by cushions, never came to any harm and no real problems with collimation being out.

It's perfectly safe like that - just don't go over any speed humps at 80 miles an hour!

I've been thinking about this ever since I got my scope. Unlike say digital photography where everything is geared towards transporting your kit I haven't seen anything like it for Telescopes. I find that odd given we live in such a light polluted country especially down here in the SE.

But also what if you wanted to really travel, say down to the more mountainous regions of Spain, France, Italy or travel further north for example - even just to Scotland to some of our best dark sky areas.

you can get padded carrying bags for your tube assembly!

But also what if you wanted to really travel, say down to the more mountainous regions of Spain, France, Italy

I'm interested in flying!! If you colapse a dob will it fit inside the hand luggage size? It must be guaranteed to be outside warranty:D

Driving would be more realistic, anyone done this?

I'm interested in flying!! If you colapse a dob will it fit inside the hand luggage size? It must be guaranteed to be outside warranty:D

Driving would be more realistic, anyone done this?

It would be a matter of weight I suppose. Would it fit in the overhead lockers? Perhaps not, but could always go as cargo though.

Driving down would be great with a motor caravan!

I keep my SW Heritage 130P flex tube assembled in its box in the back of my Ford SMax all the time. Maybe I should check the collimation, but I doubt it has moved. The 5" mirror just isn't that heavy to be a problem.

One huge advantage of the Heritage 130 is that it is so well protected "inside the base" while you transport in one piece.

Archived