NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Was it worth it?

Eyeball

I have spent the afternoon learning about astronomy, and it was certainly an eye-opener - in fact it raises a very pertinent question when considering the following true facts:

(a) The Milky Way will collide with Andromeda.

(:) The Sun is gradually expanding and getting hotter and will destroy the ozone layer and fry us all.

© The Earth is continually at risk from dark matter and dark energy

(d) Gamma Ray bursts, the most powerful energy source in the universe. If one occurs within 1,000 light years from earth, we're history.

(e) Near earth objects - a constant source of danger.

The question all this raises is this:

Was it really sensible of me to by a telescope at Christmas? :hello2:

Well at least you will be able to have a front row seat when the end of the world is nigh

Although I have made a joke of it, it was really fascinating to learn all this. The future of mankind seems all doom and gloom.

Who knows Chris, it may be up to you and I to save this planet.

Destiny calls!

Regarding (a), I doubt if the M31 collision will have any impact (is that the right word? :)) on 'us' - or whatever creatures pass for 'us' when the time comes. Perhaps the spiral arm that we happen to live in (the Orion arm) will be unwound by the encounter, as can be seen in other galaxy collisions like the 'Mice' or the 'Antennae', and the Solar System along with it (if it's still in it that is) but yet the Solar System will continue to spin around intact in its new setting...

No doubt someone with more expertise can set me right, on my ramblings...

Can't answer for ©, but yes (:), (d) and (e) all look likely.

Enjoy your telescope while you still can...:hello2:

Regarding (a), I doubt if the M31 collision will have any impact (is that the right word? :)) on 'us' - or whatever creatures pass for 'us' when the time comes. Perhaps the spiral arm that we happen to live in (the Orion arm) will be unwound by the encounter, as can be seen in other galaxy collisions like the 'Mice' or the 'Antennae', and the Solar System along with it (if it's still in it that is) but yet the Solar System will continue to spin around intact in its new setting...

No doubt someone with more expertise can set me right, on my ramblings...

Can't answer for ©, but yes (:), (d) and (e) all look likely.

Enjoy your telescope while you still can...:hello2:

The universe really is a turbulent and violent place isn't it - but fascinating none the less.

I think the question raised by the Milky Way / Andromeda collision was what happens to the super black holes of both, and what will be drawn into them - the earth perhaps?

Bomb shelter?? I'm building an intergalactic suspended animation Earth escape pod lol

Good thinking, because an intergalactic suspended animation Earth escape pod, is the only thing that a black hole cannot digest!

I have spent the afternoon learning about astronomy, and it was certainly an eye-opener - in fact it raises a very pertinent question when considering the following true facts:

(a) The Milky Way will collide with Andromeda.

(:) The Sun is gradually expanding and getting hotter and will destroy the ozone layer and fry us all.

© The Earth is continually at risk from dark matter and dark energy

(d) Gamma Ray bursts, the most powerful energy source in the universe. If one occurs within 1,000 light years from earth, we're history.

(e) Near earth objects - a constant source of danger.

The question all this raises is this:

Was it really sensible of me to by a telescope at Christmas? :hello2:

I can put your mind partially at ease.

Dark matter doesn't seem to pose any risk for us, but we won't know for sure until we identify (maybe at the Large Hadron Collider) the stuff of which dark matter is made. In fact, dark matter supplies the (gravitational) glue that holds galaxies like ours together. Without dark matter, the stars in galaxies would "boil off".

In the future, the accelerating expansion of the universe caused by dark energy could rip galaxies and planets apart, but this won't happen until long after (:), so the Earth doesn't have to worry about this.

I can put your mind partially at ease.

Dark matter doesn't seem to pose any risk for us, but we won't know for sure until we identify (maybe at the Large Hadron Collider) the stuff of which dark matter is made. In fact, dark matter supplies the (gravitational) glue that holds galaxies like ours together. Without dark matter, the stars in galaxies would "boil off".

In the future, the accelerating expansion of the universe caused by dark energy could rip galaxies and planets apart, but this won't happen until long after (:hello2:, so the Earth doesn't have to worry about this.

Reading about the expanding universe and dark energy, I found it very interesting. When the universe is finally torn apart and destroyed, we then revert to that which existed before the 'big bang' created the universe - which was what exactly?

The last major disaster that was forecast was the end of the World caused by the Millenium Bug at the turn of the century. Remember all those ( particularly American) people who went up into the mountains to escape the End of the World?

What i want to know is,

1. When did they come back down?

2, How silly did they feel?

At least with an intergalactic suspended animation Earth escape pod, if the disaster doesnt happen, you wont feel silly because you wont be able to get back!

Allan

I wouldn't lose any sleep over any of this.

As my Dad used to say, 'if you can't do owt about it, don't fret' :hello2:

Anyway, on a bright note, all of our personal universes will have come to an end long before any galaxy collision, sun expansion etc :)

Have a nice day :):D:D:D

Cheers

Rob

"The last major disaster that was forecast was the end of the World caused by the Millenium Bug at the turn of the century. Remember all those ( particularly American) people who went up into the mountains to escape the End of the World?

What i want to know is,

1. When did they come back down?

2, How silly did they feel?"

Maybe they're still up there, believing civilisation to have crumbled.

mmm, they could be right!

John

Archived