NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Very thin crescent

Starman

I found myself trying to capture more and more waning Moon phases from the last quarter Moon on the 17th July. I do have a capture for the 18th but seeing was poor and the result rather messes up the sequence to be honest. I might have another go at it later. Anyway here's the full sequence capture up to a very difficult thin crescent on the 23rd July which was hampered with criss-crossing clouds.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/l2006/lunarphases_july_2006-fullsize.jpg

Now, I thought the 23rd would be the end of the story, however...

This morning I got up early and took a look into the north-east. I was somewhat surprised to see lots of clouds around. I decided to hang on and keep an eye on what was happening. I knew the Moon was in there somewhere but I couldn't see any stars to find my way around. I saw Venus and decided to set up my telescope in my front garden, just in case. At 04h00m UT I was tired and on the verge of giving up. I still couldn't see stars but could see things around me in the garden very clearly as the dawn was advancing fast. Suddenly, between two thick cloud banks, I picked up a thin white line in my binoculars and sprung into action...

A few tense moments when I had to move the telescope to avoid a lamp post and a few snips at a straggly bush in the front garden (which now has a rectangular section taken out of it!) and I had the faint crescent in my finder. Moments later, there it was on my computer screen - a sight as beautiful as any I've ever seen in the sky. Small distant birds were flying across the giant crescent - an awesome sight. Here's the end result...

2006-07-24_04-13-14_flat.jpg

Fantastic, Pete!

Reminds me of a "contest" a few observing buddies have had over the years-How "new" is new, and how "old" is old? Sky and Telescope magazine ran an article late last year or early this about finding the newest and oldest Moons. I believe the record is still held by my departed friend Pierre Schwar at 11.3 hours. (Pierre also video taped Mercury less than 1 degree from Major Conjunction! Amazing observer. Wild man.) :D

Archived