SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first view of Saturn

Tony.S

After a decent evenings viewing last night,Jupiter & another first for me,the Orion Nebula,absolutely stunning So I decided to set the alarm for 3.30am & I finally got my first view of Saturn.This planet is amazing,it didn't look real...This first view will remain with me for a long time.

Yes it's a nice view and well done for braving the weather.

LOL, yeah, I have to admit it was a struggle to get out of my nice warm bed to got outside but it was definately worth it.

I was so taken back with the view though I even forgot about the cold weather for 10 minutes.

The strongest EP I have at the moment is 8mm so it was at 150x it was very clear but also quite small,so today I ordered a 2x Barlow,hopefully it will arrive before Xmas so that I can get out early again on the few days I get off work.

Hi.

I was using my 12" dobs..It would have been nice to have a look with my Vixen as well but it was just too cold & slippery outside & the wooden tripod is not the easiet to put up with freezing fingers.

As for seeing Saturns moons,I proberly did but was too overwhelmed to notice

• 3 weeks later...
What magnification do you need to see Saturn clearly?

Is 180x enough?

It looks great at x100 but keeps getting better the more power you use until you get to 25-30x per inch of aperture - providing the seeing is reasonably steady. I was using x200 on my CPC1100 this morning & it was rather marginal due to the very wobbly seeing, but I've had a good view at x311 a few days ago.

Archived