NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SLT Tripod leg upgrade help

Rob

Because of the HUGE plastic bolt head thingy that sits under the original tripod. I can't see an easy way to attach the two together. However without the "cup" i can easily see that if i undo the two screws that hold the tapped plate in place and create a new one with the CG5 bolt thread then the replace this new plate that it MIGHT just clamp the whole thing down onto the CG5 tripod with enough pressure to create a stable platform. maybe....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the bolt on the CG5 is also the leg spreader. It would probably work with a smaller bolt but i'd have to get the two plastic nuts too. If i just change the plate on the SLT base then the CG5 tripod will just work (i think). Plus if i keep the old plate i can replate it if i want to use the original tripod or sell it.

My own personal opinion is the two of you don't need to take it as far as adding a HEQ5 tripod. Just change the legs for EQ3/5 jobs.

After using the SLT Tuesday night and comparing it side by side with the Nexstar GT, I agree though, the SLT legs are indeed complete pants and do need replacing ASAP.

Regards

Russ

[removed word]. Oh well, no hurry i guess. Whens Ian back from la palma? same time?

he must have planned that hehe, he's away until the 31st July in La Palma doing imaging.

Hey ho. I saw OVL have tal wooden tripod that looked interesting, but thats £80 odd though. Starting to get too expensive for a simple grab n go setup. Although I think hardwood would be better than tubular steel. Lighter too.

Went out tonight to star test the ED80. Gave a great star test but couldn't get a 4mm radian to come to focus without an extension piece. Discovered that I REALLY need that tripod upgrade for high power viewing. Shake rattle and roll for about 5 seconds making focusing a pain. Not so bad at lower mags though. The OTA worked great but the mount still needs some tuning. I retracted the tripod legs completly and sat cross legged on the floor hehe, still gave a good few seconds vibration. The reduction though confirmed to me that it was the tripod that is causing it though not the mount head. Although apparently even that can be tightened down to reduce flexure. fun fun fun! Is it better than a cg5? It's not as stable but i can pick the whole thing up OTA included with one hand and put it away in about 60 seconds. Perfect!

Just took a look at the weight of the synta ED80 compared to the long perng ED80. Apparently the long perng ed80 is 6.6lb's whilst the synta ed80 is 5lb's 11oz's! Shocked me as the synta ed80 is in a 100mm tube. Not sure how accurate that is, taken from the Orion website and the long perng website. Can anyone confirm this?

Archived