Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rotating Rings ?

Hi

Now that i have finally got to grips with my scope and mount

Skywatcher Explorer 250 OTA

Skywatcher EQ6 Pro SynScan

I have found that ofter when using goto Im down on my knees or on a chair because of the eyepiece postition. Now if only I can rotate the scope within its mount ?, can I get rotatiing rigngs for my scope ?

Regards

John B

If I've understood you John, you're wanting to rotate the OTA in the tube rings ? I did see a post a while back where someone had used tapestry rings, fixed to the OTA either side of the tube rings, to ensure the OTA didn't slide in the rings when they were loosened to allow the rotation.

I also have a SW250 OTA and after lots of bending and standing on chairs I have found the best place to have the focuser is inwards pointing in line with the center of the mount.

I have seen a setup with those rotating rings but i'd probably wince at the price.

Antares were doing a set of rotating rings but the price was steep. I think the 8" rings were £150. But a bigger problem is none of the UK dealers stock them anyway.

A fixed ring to stop it sliding is good idea.

I also have a SW250 OTA and after lots of bending and standing on chairs I have found the best place to have the focuser is inwards pointing in line with the center of the mount.

Do you mean that when the EQ mount is all set up in its starting position, with the OTA pointing northwards, the eyepiece is pointing down to the ground? I'm keen to follow your recommendation but am slightly unsure exactly what you mean!

Thanks,

I love the look of the DIY rings - I think I'll give them a try!

I've found having the eyepiece turned towards the mount rather than away from can be easier - although it can entail some contorted positions when using the finderscope (especially if it ends up beneath the focuser). I found that re-positioning the focuser by 90 degrees (so that the focusing knobs run in a line across the tube rather than along it) quite useful - less disconcerning when flipping over the axis and finding the focuser is upside down.

I still have the goto experience to look forward to on an EQ mount.

M.

Do you mean that when the EQ mount is all set up in its starting position, with the OTA pointing northwards, the eyepiece is pointing down to the ground? I'm keen to follow your recommendation but am slightly unsure exactly what you mean!

I have placed the focuser inline with the mounting bar, so yes although I cannot see in a northwards direction because of the house and a high hill behind complete with trees.

In this position I'm never on tiptoes to look through the ep and put up with a bit of bending although so far all the targets I've been looking at have been at a comfortable stance.

As I'm imaging more than observing I can put up with a little discomfort but will admit that if I did more observing I would get a clamp ring fitted to stop the OTA slipping and put some padding on the main rings ( I thought of using the soft side of self-adhesive velcro?) to stop any scratching of the OTA.

Thanks Astromerlin, that's such a useful tip. I've just tried it out with the scope set up indoors. I used the goto to point towards various targets and you're totally right: with the eyepiece in line with the dovetail it never seems to get in a difficult position.

Recently, looking at Capella has involved standing on a chair and looking at Jupiter has practically involved lying on the ground. You've solved all these problems. Thank you!

Archived