NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Geminids ?

Dicky de Builder

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night here in Banbury I managed a clear sky for about 45 minutes, bracketed by oppressive low clouds...during that 45 mins though I did see a bright orange meteor pass over Orion. The 'Whoah!' was barely out of my mouth when another shorter one flashed closer to the overhead.

The beeb is forecasting partly cloudy tonight, so I've got my fingers crossed for at least a chance of spotting some :)

Was out for the evening last night but got home about 11.30pm; popped outside before going to bed, mostly cloudy but was actually clear around Gemini, Taurus and Orion. In the space of five minutes I spotted a faint meteor in Orion, and one bright and one faint one in Taurus. So definitely fingers crossed for clear skies tonight, looks like a good one! Mixture of cloud and sunny intervals here at the moment.

I was workin up on the norfolk broads(somerleyton) last night on a river swing bridge, managed to see loads of geminids(despite the task lights), they were much wider spread over the sky than i thought they would be aswell, easily saw 30 ish between 12 and 3, and that was with cloud rollin through all the time.

sky was quite polluted up there, thought it would be alot darker.

What is the earliest time I could expect to see them?

My daughters would both like to see them but can`t stay up to late.

You *could* see them any time after dark, it's unpredictable but you'll see more as the night goes on, as Gemini rises higher and as we get closer to the predicted peak in the early hours.

Devon 21:20ish. Just popped out for a minute and two meteors within 5 minutes. Gemini still a bit low. One racing from Castor to Polaris, the other from Betelgeuse to Gemini hmmmmmmm!:)

Quote "Here in Kent at the moment (nearing 8.30 in the evening) there are stars visible, and after the best part of a bottle of Chilean Merlot"

Come on andypraktica the geminids at least deserve a bottle of Rioja:D

Hi Dicky,

it was a nice Merlot, not great but very nice. Hoping for a bit more tonight (did not see a thing last night), so we are drinking a very nice Gigondas tonight (had to wash the roast chicken down with something :icon_eek:).

There is about 50% cloud at the moment, and the only thing I can see is Jupiter in the South West.

Is 11.00 PM going to be a good time to start looking, or can it start any time from now?

Andy

Was clear but "dewy" in my bit of Pembrokeshire last night, caught sight of 11 meteors (I wasn't even watching for them) of varying colours and speeds between 8.30 and 10.30 (when the dew/frost finally made me pack the scope away!!!) Went out again several times after midnight to look for more, did I see any? did I heckerslike!!! Still enjoyed the naked eye view of Mars at 3.30.

Cloudy tonite

Ian

Last night here in Banbury I managed a clear sky for about 45 minutes, bracketed by oppressive low clouds...during that 45 mins though I did see a bright orange meteor pass over Orion. The 'Whoah!' was barely out of my mouth when another shorter one flashed closer to the overhead.

The beeb is forecasting partly cloudy tonight, so I've got my fingers crossed for at least a chance of spotting some :)

did this meteor go east to west just below orion towards mirzam (near sirius) about 00:12 hrs this morning?

did this meteor go east to west just below orion towards mirzam (near sirius) about 00:12 hrs this morning?

Yep, yep and yep, taking into account the few beers I'd had regarding the exact time :) Did you see it too?

EDIT: The colour was orange/yellow fwiw

I saw a couple of Geminids (4 in total) last night under clear-ish skies but viewing tonight doesn't seem likely, quite a bit of cloud rolling in now :) Yet another meteor shower ruined by cloud this year, I don't think I've seen a clear sky on the night of the peak yet, finger crossed for the Ursids.

Well still clear skies here in Essex and now I've got through a few bottles of Bishops Finger I now feel brave enough to wander outside, or maybe I should have one more.......

What are you Essex types doing, nicking our Kentish beer? Fair play though, I only wish that I had a few bottles stashed away, because I reckon it is "Brass Monkeys" out there at the moment, and the clouds keep spoiling everything.

I saw maybe a dozen or so last night, but only one was spectacular, the first one, which set me full of hope for a tremendous display. Still, that one was well worth seeing. This moroning I went out about 05:30 hrs, with gemini now to the west, but cloud and a brightening sky put paid to any hopes of further excitement.

Still, I was my first "fuzzy", so that was a "whoop-whoop" moment too.

Archived