SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Geminids ?

Dicky de Builder

Hi all

Was out last night observing and saw several meteors over the space of about two hours. Is this an average rate or the start of the Geminids? Gemini was quite high and they were largely moving away from it ( I did have a glassette of wine:o).

Also had my first glimpse of Mars and a good view of M43 ( just love looking at Orion). Had a bit of a problem locating NGC 2244, think I saw it but it didn’t seem very smudgy.

A reasonable clear night in Devon at last:hello2:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i read somewhere they were hoping for 160 per hour at the peak.

I had a bit of rubbish night last night but when i stepped out this morning and looked up, i saw two meteors in the space of a minute. They both seemed to be originating from Gemini, so i'm quite excited for the maximum. Just hope the weather plays nice!

Gemini is in a nice high part of the sky and will hopefully give a good show all signs are leading that way with good sightings last night. the figures are just a estimate and I think no one can tell for sure and have read different figures on many different sites. Lets just hope its a good one.

45 degrees from the radiant is best, the radiant being in the constellation Gemini. I have always found the geminids easy to spot so move my eyes around the sky. If it's a good year you're likely to spot them pretty much anywhere across the sky travelling away from the radiant. Just scan the constellations E, N and W of Gemini and you'll see some :)

Here in Kent at the moment (nearing 8.30 in the evening) there are stars visible, and after the best part of a bottle of Chilean Merlot, I can still see them, so I will keep the "bins" handy, and keep popping outside in an hour or so's time (in between the goals on Match of the Day).

Andy

Devon 21:20ish. Just popped out for a minute and two meteors within 5 minutes. Gemini still a bit low. One racing from Castor to Polaris, the other from Betelgeuse to Gemini hmmmmmmm!:)

Quote "Here in Kent at the moment (nearing 8.30 in the evening) there are stars visible, and after the best part of a bottle of Chilean Merlot"

Come on andypraktica the geminids at least deserve a bottle of Rioja:D

Friday before last I was involved in a car accident when a Taxi kindly pulled out in front of me. :) Until tonight the full implication was lost on me.

Joy of joys the first clear night for weeks, out goes the OTA for cooling and I can do a bit of meteor watching while I wait. Look up for a few seconds and crunch, click, OUCH!!! :icon_eek:

Looks like I will be missing the Geminids and any potential to use my telescope for a little while. Sick as a parrot! :eek:

Well it was cloudy at 11pm when i went to bed. I woke at 5am and it was still cloudy. Not as cloudy...but still cloudy. Gemini is sitting somewhere out there directly west from my bedroom window and all i can see is mostly cloud,small break and a very weird cat just sitting in the middle of the road. Maybe the cat is also hoping to see some meteors. Least i know exactly where Gemini will be this time 24hrs....so i can observe from the comfort of my room. I'll head out back earlier sunday night when it is rising in the east and spend a few hrs out there with my camera before getting a few hrs sleep and rising before 5am to look out front.

sounds good in theory.

Archived