Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Edinburgh

SCM

Hi everyone i'm Paul from Edinburgh, well for the time being until me and gf move back to Fife. Reason i am here is my gf had a Celestron telescope going free so i have inherited it for myself :) So should be interesting attempting a new type of photography to add to what i have done so far. Although if my astronomy equipment goes the way my camera equipment has i wont have any bank balance for a few years to come lol

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Paul welcome to SGL,

I'm not too far from you - just outside Edinburgh, hopefully this fog will lift and we'll get some clear skies tonight. :icon_eek:

What model of Celestron scope did you inherit?

It is a Celestron Powerseeker 114 so from reading up on it seems a reasonable place to start telescope wise i hope, so it just leaves me to get the adaptors for my Canon 40D which my kind gf is getting me for Christmas this year :)

By looks of things this fog wont be clearing any time soon but where my folks stay in Fife will be a perfect spot to use the telescope fully. Far enough away to avoid the majority of the sky glow from Edinburgh and when there are no clouds the sky above is perfectly clear.

Also thank you to everyone for the warm welcome here as well.

It is a Celestron Powerseeker 114 so from reading up on it seems a reasonable place to start telescope wise i hope, so it just leaves me to get the adaptors for my Canon 40D which my kind gf is getting me for Christmas this year :icon_eek:

Yes it's a great starter scope, you'll find a lot of people on here started with a similar scope and most miss them when they upgrade!! :eek:

By looks of things this fog wont be clearing any time soon but where my folks stay in Fife will be a perfect spot to use the telescope fully. Far enough away to avoid the majority of the sky glow from Edinburgh and when there are no clouds the sky above is perfectly clear.

You were right about the fog!! :):angry2: Still that's what SGL is good for, making the cloudy/foggy nights go quicker. :D

Your folks place sounds great, the darker the skies the better, it should really help to improve the veiws through your scope. Also the observers group I'm a member of has a few darksites around Edinburgh so if your looking for an extra site or two check out the link in my signature. :(

Cheers

Thans ron.s.g and Kathleen for the welcome :)

I had a look at the site Steve and bookmarked it will sort out membership there shortly as looks a good site :icon_eek: As to my folks the good thing is they are right on the edge of where they live and next to fields, so means very little street lighting after a few minutes walk alongside the fields. On one side of the fields is a set of woods which blocks light coming that way from next town and a hill between there and the majority of sky glow from Edinburgh.

I will hopefully be back in Inverkeithing after New Years Euan due to gf needing to downsize her house and be glad to be back somewhere quiet plus without Edinburghs skyglow for the telescope.

Just watch out for the worst uplighters in history on the rail bridge, I'm surprised the ISS crew don't get blinded on their way past. I lived in North Queensferry for a while and I had to wait for most Southern objects to clear the beams that come shooting up from it

They would keep them on all night as well, hopefully it's to do with the maintenance work and won't last forever :)

Archived