Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron CPC advice

I am selling ( almost) all my kit to buy a Celestron CPC 800 or 925

I prefer alt az mounts, i am never going to do imaging as I first thought, and I miss my Meade LX scopes.

But, I cant decide between the CPC800 or CPC925.

Obviously, the 925 is a lot heavier and I dont want to buy one too heavy to use.

Does anyone have experience of these? How heavy / maneageable are they when mounting on the tripods. I could easily manage the 800, just wondered if the 925 is going to be too much of a handfull to lug out of the shed every ( clear) night to set up.

Allan

Have you considered the NexStar range? The 8se splits into OTA and alt-az tripod for easy transportation. The C9.25 S-GT XLT also splits and is cheaper than a cpc. I find the goto equatorial mount just as easy to set up as a Alt-Az mount, and has the advantage of portability and photo use.

Hi, i bought the CPC800 last year, I'm 45 YO and healthy, occasional I will help the lads at work hand ball a 40foot container of alloy wheels out onto pallets, I do this without braking much of a sweat (much) :icon_eek:

The 9.25 has the same tripod but longer wider arms, the base on the 8.9.25 & 11 is the same.

If your not 'ever' imaging i would buy a NexStar. if you are imaging in the future I would buy a 8" CPC because your going to add a wedge at some point.I doubt you will prime focus with it anyway.

I have now built a small obsy so I can image with my 8" CPC, the reason being that I was carrying the scope in and out of the garage (30 feet away) to where it needed to be wasn't difficult but awkward because there was an alloy 11 kg wedge on it.

I guess this means I would buy 8" over 9.25" again, but if I had the dosh for 11" I would re think it all through again..maybe buy a scope buggy :hello2:

Guy..

I have a 9.25" Celestron Nextstar which is virtually the same. I have no problem with the weight but did worry that it might be too heavy for me to put on a wedge, but that turned out not to be a problem. I would strongly recommend it unless you have a weak back. I am approaching 70 and am still considering getting a wedge. It does also depend on how far you need to walk with it, but from the house to the garden or car has been no problem. I also have an 8" scope (Vixen VC200L) but the views through the 9.25 are very superior. If you did later decide that you want to get back into photography it is great for the Moon and planets and still useable on the brighter DSOs with 30s exposures.

Dave

There really isn't that much difference in weight between the CPC800 & CPC925. The difference in bulk is more noticeable.

:evil6:The CPC1100 is a silly price at the moment - I have one (since March) & it's a great "all round" scope, the heaviest I can manage as a not especially fit or strong 56 year old without significant back problems.:icon_eek:

Hi,

I had the same choice to make regarding the CPC800 or CPC925. I went for the 925 in the end. I have not had much experience regarding the weight of other scopes (apart from Meade ETX125/90) but would say that the 925 is pretty heavy. In order to carry it out of the house I have it separated and find I have to be quite careful when lifting from the floor. I am 44 years old and am pretty strong. If you have any sort of back question then I would go into an astronomy store and try lifting both scopes.

Regards,

Trevor

Food for thought, thanks for all the replies I already have a C8se mounted on an HEQ5 pro. I think the cpc800 would be ideal as it would offer the same views, but, apart from the type of mount, there wouldn't be much benefit in getting the 800

I suppose I really wanted someone to say the 925 is easy to move about (thanks Trevor and Dave) because it's what I was really thinking of

I think the decision has been made in favour of the 925. Now, where's that credit card?

Just need to sell a few more things to help with the cost!

Allan

if i already had a 8se i wouldnt bother getting the cpc. Just get a celestron se mount to mount the 8se on.

I have an 8SE ota mounted on an HEQ5 Pro at the moment. I just prefer to have an altaz mounted scope, so both the 8SE and mount will be sold soon to help pay for the new one.

Allan

Depending on your age, physical condition, and intended use, I'd go for aperture every time. My CPC-800 is a doddle in alt/az mode - convenient lifting handles and easy to position. But in eq mode on a wedge is just about the limit of my weight lifting abilities (55, heavy smoker, dodgey back lol). It's the positioning and bolting I usually need help with. But if I was only going to use alt/az I'd get the 925 :)

Depending on your age, physical condition, and intended use, I'd go for aperture every time. My CPC-800 is a doddle in alt/az mode - convenient lifting handles and easy to position. But in eq mode on a wedge is just about the limit of my weight lifting abilities (55, heavy smoker, dodgey back lol). It's the positioning and bolting I usually need help with. But if I was only going to use alt/az I'd get the 925 :)

Well, youve got a year on me and I dont smoke. Just shifted 3 tons of logs from the front garden to end of rear gatden, so i have a bad back for a while now!

My intention is to get an altaz mount purely for visual, so it looks like the 925 is the one i am going for.

Its a bit lighter than the old LX200 10" I had and I could manage that in two pieces quite easily.

Allan

I bought a CPC 925 GPS in September from FLO to replace my EQ6 Pro GEM and C9.25 OTA. You will have to separate the scope from the tripod to move it, but that's no hardship. The weight of the OTA and fork mount are heavier than the EQ6 Pro head, but quicker and easier to set up becaue you don't need to polar align or balance the scope and weights. Consequently, it is also much quicker to put away again.

I find the weight of the mount and OTA just about managebale over a short distance (up to about 50 feet) in the garden. The tripod is no problem at all. I'm 52, a little overweight and only a small guy (5'8"). I love the scope and for my use it is much more preferable to the EQ6 Pro. And if you are imaging the moon or planets using a web cam, planetary/lunar/solar, imaging is not a problem. I have even managed a 30 second exposure of M42 using a DLSR at prime focus without field rotation being a problem (beyond that it is - then you will need a wedge).

CPC 925 GPS - recommended! :)

Brinders

Nice choice Alfindingo - Although the 800 is a lovely piece of kit, I had a look through a 925 with bino viewers at Kelling last equinox and it was even better still - you'll love it - enjoy :icon_eek:

Thanks. looks like a CPC 925 is on the way soon :)

Allan

Archived