Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confused!

Tex

Hello everyone I am a newbee to Stargazers and to Astronomy. I live in Atlanta Ga. and just bought a telescope. I have had some realy cool looks at the moon before it got full and almost blinded me. But I have been trying to figure out the what lens magnification I need to look at the planets. Maybe some one could help? My scope is a Ds-2030 130mm, 1020f/l , 7.9 f/r . I have 3 lenses 4mm, 12.5mm, 25mm and 3x barlow lense. I am getting a fuzzy image with the secondary mirror and spider vane in the way. what would be the right lense to use?:icon_eek:

Hello there,

For the planets you want some magnification so you use an eyepiece with a shorter focal length. Your 4mm eyepiece will give 250x magnification - a bit too much most of the time with a 130mm scope. An ideal eyepiece for the planets in your scope would be a 7mm which would give 150x. The nearest you have to that would be your 25mm used with your 3x barlow lens which gives 122x - that should work quite well too, until you can get a 7mm eyepiece.

John

Welcome Tex, the spider vane and secondary will not blur your image as obstruction will only affect low contrast detail slightly for visuals. It sounds like a collimation issue.

Magnifications are usually 20x per inch of aperture or less for deep space and 40-50x for Moon and Planets but poor seeing will not allow the 40-50x to work well.

JohnH.

Archived