NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Like poetry? I wanted to share this with you

ashenlight

Hello :headbang:

I've been wondering whether to put this in the Lounge or in the Astro-Lounge, but I decided here because it is obviously astronomy related (you will see in a minute). As part of my degree I've been studying poetry by American women and this week, it's the turn of Adrienne Rich (b. 1929 - ). As I was moving through her collection Leaflets: Poems 1965 - 1968 I came across this beautiful poem, 'Orion'

I thought you might appreciate the imagery, it had me hankering after a clear sky so I could throw back my head to take him in...

If you like that one, you might also like 'Planetarium,' written "after thinking about Caroline Herschel."

I hope you like them :D

That Orion poem is a bit of a dichotomy, isn't it?

Orion sounds all heroic and energetic at the start, but cold and indifferent at the end.

Is she saying that she was idealistic when she viewed Orion as a child, but a bit hacked off when she viewed him as an adult (and presumably, life was a bit pear-shaped)?

One minute she's calling him half-brother, then the next minute, he's chucking geodes down the chimney.

An interesting poem, with disturbing undertones...it feels uncomfortable.

I think she's got (had?) issues with powerful men (but that's probably just me being facetious! :headbang:)

This poem is a favourite of mine when I'm feeling down, and it features constellations nostalgically, as markers for happier times.

Thomas Hardy - Shut Out that Moon

It's either that, or listening to The Smiths!

Hello lulu :D

Yes, I think it is a dichotomy too - Orion is heroic at the start and then he degenerates into a cold static figure, but I think is more to do with the process of growth in the 'I' or the poem... as a child, she saw him as a hero, riding high in the winter sky, a genius. As she grows older, she can see him for the 'male' he represents, a kind of failed figure of patriarchy. By the end her eyes are "starlike" and she has a "spear" (like Orion's sword). But, she recognises that without this male presence, she is "clumsy" like she is mid way through the poem she "blunders" alone - then Orion coaxes her outside as the night falls, and she realises she has to accept the male side of her pysche. She won't get any pity from him, but can now leave that patriarchal side of him "pinned aloft" - hanging, motionless, as she assimilates what the male stands for - genius, power, energy - into her own being.

She has definitely had issues with powerful men, I think that is what Orion represents. But for me the poem is less about them and more about her letting the 'male' side of her to coexist with the female side.

'Planetarium' on the other hand is about recognising a 'sisterhood' - realising that passionate women exist out there - there are "galaxies" of them... and that they are the stars that radiate light down to you, like a beacon.

It's all very feminist :headbang:

I have to give a seminar on this tomorrow so thanks for your take on it :)

That is a lovely poem by Hardy, I haven't come across it before. The Smiths always works too :D

I LOVE poetry. I prefer the Hardy, maybe it's because I was brought up in Dorset. Palestrina does it for me re relaxation. Who are the "Smiths"?

You cant beat a bit of 16th century Polyphony , Palestrina, carver, Ockgehem etc, I suppose they were The Smiths of their day.:headbang:

Archived