Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CdC telescope control?

stefski

Your NexStar is one of the telescope mounts recognised by CdC.

I use CdC V3.016.

You just need a computer connection between the handcontroller ( set to remote control/ RS 232/ PC direct - I'm not sure what your version will say...should be in the manual)

Once set up just click on the telescope icon and connect....

I believe you can do it without EQMOD and the extra hardware. It's possible to connect to the HEQ5's handset (assuming you've got GOTO) using nothing more than a USB-to-serial adaptor and work it that way. I do this on my Linux computer, and I know it's possible to do it on a PC, although you'd need to look up which software to run for a PC. But if you want Linux advice just let me know!

If you're running your HEQ5 with a Synscan handcontroller, all you need to do is connect the handcontroller ( set to RS232 if V2, or PCdirect if V3) to the PC/ laptop and fire up CdC V3

As simple as that.

Yes you can go down the EQMOD/ ASCOM route as many of us have, but it's not mandatory.

Oooops, posted the last one by accident......Anyway, I've got v2.76 of CdC at the mo. The v3 that I ownloaded kept crashing/not downloading? I've got the cable that connects from the PC the handcontroller. Am I really only one click away from PC control? I must confess, that I've been using CdC for years and never read a manual on how to use it!:headbang:

Stef:)

If you're running your HEQ5 with a Synscan handcontroller, all you need to do is connect the handcontroller ( set to RS232 if V2, or PCdirect if V3) to the PC/ laptop and fire up CdC V3

As simple as that.

Yes you can go down the EQMOD/ ASCOM route as many of us have, but it's not mandatory.

When it comes to guiding with the HEQ5 pro, would I then need the FLO dongle to connect from pc to guideport with appropriate software?

Apologies if I've hijacked the thread. Just that one question leads to the next. Shame there isnt a "HEQ5 mount pack for dummies" So much to take in, so little time...................

Adrian

As said, the HEQ5pro will connect directly to the PC and CdC ( V3 is much better than the V2!) and can be controlled without having the EQMOD.

Very easy and straight forward......

Adrian, sorry just re-read your post...

For guide signals yes you will need a special adaptor ( not the EQDIR!) to send the guide signals from say PHD to the ST-4 port on the mount. I use the GPUSB from ShoeString Astronomy.

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_gp.htm

NOTE: guiding is completely different from GOTO control of the mount.

CDC control if the way to do (unless you've got ' The sky').

I originally connected by EQ6 through the hand set and that works find although the skywatcher handset can interfere occasionally.

The best way by far is to go via EQMOD. It add so much more functionality and it's all free. The hardware option are a Shoestring EQDir (as I have) or better the adapter that Steve now sells.

AS regards guiding there are various options available depending on your hardware. I have a QHY5 guide cam and connect direct from that to the mount using a ST4 cable. This isn't the only way however. You can go via the EQMOD using pulse guiding. You wouldn't then need any other cables. As too which method is best; the debate still continues.

I would recommend PHD for guiding (again free) and this lets you use either method. Other people use Maxim and say it is very good however I keep that just for imaging as PHD just works!

Hope this helps

Rob

Archived