Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skylight F15 review in Astronomy Now

Danny

Hi Everyone,

I picked up the December issue of Astronomy Now this morning. There's a great review of a new 4-inch F/15 refractor in there. You can see it on the Skylight website. Got me drooling to say the least. Looks beautiful. I was saving to buy an Apo in this aperture class, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone seen it yet?

Danny

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not a F/10 scope but an F/15. It would be in a totally different league to a standard F/10 achromat. Apples and oranges really.

Fair comment but would it be 8 times better than a Tal 100mm F/10 because that is how much more it costs ?

If it was my money for the same performance the Equinox 100m F/9 at just £769 would be a no brainer and much easier to mount too.

And then there's the Equinox 120mm F7.5 at just £1230 ........

The reviewer said he mounted it securely on a Gibraltar mount. That doesn't sound especially expensive to me. They're not heavy instruments just a little longer than the usual run-of-the mill fracs out there. If I know anything about the chap who reviewed it(Neil English) over the years, I'd trust his comments. If he finds fault with something, he doesn't shy away from saying it. Did he not do a similar thing with the Zerochromat recently? He didn't like that scope, reading between the lines.

And yes, you can get Apos for less money, but come on, that Skylight refractor's got style hasn't it? I think it's all about personal taste really.

would it be 8 times better than a Tal 100mm F/10 because that is how much more it costs ?

We're into the zone where increasingly small increments in performance cost increasingly large amounts of money. If I had to have a 4" refractor, irrespective of cost, something like this would be what I'd choose ... the long focal ratio is helpful for what the scope is intended to be good at.

But I'd rather have a 6" SCT or Newtonian with quality optics, at a much lower cost. Sorry guys, aperture rules.

Short focus APOs of around 3 to 4 inches make good "wide field" imaging scopes, & are great for low power rich field views ... but a longer focus scope will always be better for lunar / planetary work. The only comment I'd have is that, unless it's using exotic glasses, a 4" achromat really needs to be working at f/20 to eliminate false colour....

The reviewer said he mounted it securely on a Gibraltar mount. That doesn't sound especially expensive to me. They're not heavy instruments just a little longer than the usual run-of-the mill fracs out there. If I know anything about the chap who reviewed it(Neil English) over the years, I'd trust his comments. If he finds fault with something, he doesn't shy away from saying it. Did he not do a similar thing with the Zerochromat recently? He didn't like that scope, reading between the lines.

And yes, you can get Apos for less money, but come on, that Skylight refractor's got style hasn't it? I think it's all about personal taste really.

I don't think anyone is saying the review (or reviewer) isn't fair, just that for that price (and tube length) there are other options they'd prefer.

Neil English loved the optics and the fit and finish and I'm sure he's totally correct in those opinions but those specs and that price just arn't going to appeal a lot of people IMHO.

Just my 2p....;O)

The reviewer said he mounted it securely on a Gibraltar mount. That doesn't sound especially expensive to me. They're not heavy instruments just a little longer than the usual run-of-the mill fracs out there.

I'm suprised that the reviewer found the Gibraltar mount adequate to be honest. I tried my F/9.4 127mm achro refractor (OTA weight 7 kgs) on a Gibraltar and the mount just wasn't up to it - it's not the weight so much as the tube length that is the issue - long tube scopes generate lots of moment arm force (I've probably not put that correctly ) which means they need really sturdy mounts.

If you like the Skylight 4" F/15 how about this 6" F/15 :rolleyes::

6" F15 Refractor, this will cause queues at StarParties on eBay (end time 24-Nov-09 20:00:42 GMT)

John

That e-bay scope looks a prime candidate for moment-issues with those close-mounted tube rings. I'm curious to see how much it goes for though.

...and that e-bay user-name... :rolleyes:

/pedant mode : OFF

:)

Maybe barring a garden in Selsey :-)

Ah, well yes, Steve did a remarkable job there I have to say - but apart from that then... this is a craftsman-made individual scope made completely in the UK.

There are those that bemoan the lack of UK scope builders and yet here is one - yes, at the top end of the market but that's the only place not saturated with kit, it is very well made and looks drop-dead gorgeous - both close up and from a distance. Were there complaints when Televue decided to build a brass scope and sell it for 2 1/2 times standard? Not that I heard... and yet that was achro too, you could buy a scope even from the same company's price list at almost a third the price!

I think Richard should be applauded for building his dream telescope in the first place - and then applauded a bit more in attempting to make it available to everyone.

Arthur

PS - maybe I should point out that Ambermile is designing the rings for this scope, but that does not colour my opinions on the scope in any way at all.

I personally think it looks stunning,and im sure is a joy to use.

Way better than any daft dob in my opinion and aperture definately

does not rule,its image quality that counts not quanity.

A modern F15 is a very rare and special instrument :headbang:

There ive had my rant and feel better.

this is a craftsman-made individual scope made completely in the UK.

Are the optics made in the UK? It would be marvellous if they are; I didn't know there was anybody left here making astro objectives. And, yes, the scope's expensive compared with mass-produced imports, but in real terms it's cheaper than the 1970s Fullerscope that it seems to be based on - Hugh

Many thanks for the information. I think Ian Poyser still offers UK-made achro objectives on some refractors.

I haven't seen the review of the Skylight f15, but when f15 refractors were standard issue, the tripods supplied with them were almost six feet tall. I should think anyone trying to observe near the zenith with a four-inch f15 on one of today's imported shortie tripods would almost have to lie on the grass - Hugh

:headbang: - if you know anyone that went to Kelling and took *any* pix of the dealers row you will see this scope - it was about 10 feet high at the pointy end on it's tripod so was way above heads, tents, cars, etc. and is bound to be in most pictures of that area! Richard himself is over six feet tall so you can be sure the tripod will be more than suitable... as far as I am aware these are starting to ship next week if anyone's interested. Expect a waiting list...

Arthur

Archived