Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera settings for Leonids

Well no-one else has chipped in, so I would suggest:

Digital SLR on fixed tripod with remote shutter release.

Moderate to high ISO - 400 to 1600

Wide angle lens - closed one stop

30 second exposures - possibly longer if your camera will do it.

I usually use large or medium jpeg, rather than raw, so I can get more images on the card - but if your card can take it, then raw would be best.

/callump

Mark, Just to add... if you're card is big enough, shoot RAW + Large JPG. Set the camera to continuous shooting and lock your remote shutter release. Just let it hammer away and capture a large number of frames. Then you can also combine all the jpg's and make a star trails out of the jpg's without having to process all the RAW's to do it.

Assume you're exposing ( without an LPR filter) to get best sky backgound image you can; this will depend on sky glow and light polution.

The meteor trail only lasts a fraction of a second so basically it gives its own exposure.

ALWAYS shoot RAW .... you can dig down into the low significance bits to extract surprisingly faint details.

Here's a meteor (not a Leonid - possibly a Taurid) which I accidentally captured recently.

M35%20Meteor.jpg

2009 Nov 11, 0512 UT. Crop from RAW frame, green layer only, Canon 40D, 50mm, 6 sec @ f/2, no filter. The ISO was actually set at 400 but the way I work it actually makes no difference....

The field is in Gemini's "feet", the prominent star cluster is M35. The frame was exposed as part of a set to measure the brightness of some of the bright variables in this area.

If I was shooting for meteors I'd have the lens pretty well wide open, use a antipollution filter (CLS or B+W 491 "Redhancer") and expose for as long as the sky fog remains at a reasonable level - probably 1 min @ f/2.8 for me.

Im planning 30 sec exposures as ISO 800 and RAW format, and will set it to take 999 of them, basically it will stop when my memory card is full, its a 4Gig Card and each pic is about 18Mb so by my calculations thats about 220 Pics and just under 2 hours. I must catch a couple i hope ?

John B

Brian,

I've got to disagree with the use of CLS or red filters etc.

The light emission from a meteor is due to the ionisation of the air and the components of the meteor.

http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm

Ed Majden has been imaging them for over 30 years.

Typical emmision lines are:

H and K lines of CaII (3934Ǻ, 3969Ǻ)

Calcium (4227Ǻ, 6162Ǻ)

Iron (4046Ǻ-4144Ǻ, 4268Ǻ-4427Ǻ, 4886Ǻ-4988Ǻ, 5371Ǻ-5456Ǻ)

Magnesium (3855Ǻ)

MgI (5167Ǻ, 5173Ǻ, 5184Ǻ)

Oxygen (5577Ǻ, 6157Ǻ)

Sodium (5890Ǻ, 5896Ǻ)

SiII (6347Ǻ, 6371Ǻ)

I've got to disagree with the use of CLS or red filters etc.

To squash the sodium glow. The B+W 491 "Redhancer" is didymium glass which cuts sodium glow by at least 90% whilst transmitting most of the visible spectrum.

I would not recommend using a colour filter for meteors. If you have a dark sky then by all means shoot without a filter, but that's very, very few of those of use who live in the UK.

The image I've posted above is green layer only simply because that's the way I get magnitude estimates with spectral response close to the standard V band photometric filter.

Archived