NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC281 - HA-HA-SII-OIII

NickH

It's an unusual colour, but I quite like it :rolleyes: Did you use Ha as a lum layer too then Nick?

The SII output of this one is fairly pathetic, even with 30 min subs you get barely a smudge, but it does seem to alter the overall effect nonetheless.

The OIII really starts to come to life with 20 min or greater subs, but still needs lots of them to really give the depth to the lagoony bit in the middle.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you so much. I was really unsure on this one, as the OIII was noisy (10 minute subs) and the SII, as said, barely there. I used HA lum and then HA, SII, OII combinations as LRGB in MAxim (varying levels) and then used the hue/saturation adjust in CS2 to get a balance which I found nice..

The narrow bands have picked out the dark nebulosity and bocks globules very nicely. The green halos are a bit distracting

Paul's point about the luminence makes a lot of sense. What was the overall exposure time Nick

the halos are sadly all over the H-A dataset. Around 240 mins of usable subs in total, may attempt to stick some 30 minute OIII and SII ones in to the mix. Ran a 4 hour run of 30 min dark frames yesterday

• 5 weeks later...

Seems like the shot (I can now reveal that this was in fact taken with an AX103.... had to keep quiet on that!).... in AN got a bit squiffy (printers issue...not uncommon with newspapers and mags)... but no worries...

Archived