Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kit sorted - now the extras

Thanks to all those who contributed to a previous thread

Now my equipment list is sorted I need to think about the extra bits I’m going to need, as always feedback much appreciated.

So main kit is:

Mount

Skywatcher EQ6 PRO Synscan

Visual & Imaging telescope

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

Imaging camera my DSLR for the time being

Guide telescope

Skywatcher Startravel 80

Guide Camera - QHY5

Extras I think I need ?, in no particular order

Flattener ?

Bahtinov Mask

Dew Shield for the Imaging scope ?

Some sort of Power Supply ?

Eyepieces for the Imaging scope ?

Regards

John B

Bahtinov - See Stay Focused Bahtinov masks from £9 (Powered by CubeCart)

Power Supply - yes - my 17VA gel cell battery doesn't last too long with the EQ6 I get about 3-4 hours on a full charge whilst running the mount alone. It maybe I've broken one of the cells though.

Flattener - can't comment.

Eyepieces - yes, you will need something to align with but it does come with a 28mm (if I read the specs right) Or are you looking for visual as well.

Dew shield - it comes with one, but you will need a dew heater band to wrap around the 'scope.

Don't forget the warm coat!!

John, What SLR do you have ? If it has Liveview, then I wouldn't worry about ep's you'll get a couple anyway. Suitable fittings for the camera, and it would be worth checking about a 50mm extention tube for each scope. neither of my fracs come to focus with a camera at prime without them. The dew shields on mine work up to a point, and so far, the OH's hairdryer has been making regular trips out to clear the dew during a session, I really must sort out something more suitable and fitted permanently though (make sure you get one dew strap for each scope though). I've used both a Maplin powertank, and mains power. Whilst the powertank does the trick, it's not got enough grunt for driving the HEQ5 for very long (it may well be a bit poorly though, as it's run completely flat on me twice now). Mains, works a charm, you have to consider that it's not just the mount your powering, but you have to also power your dew straps, laptop, and possibly camera/s too. Others have used very high capacity leisure batteries very effectively too.

An LP filter... the Skywatcher LP filter works well with the ED80 (well the C80ED anyway, but it's the same glass), it removes a lot of LP, allowing for 10 minutes at ISO800, which given the focal ratio of the scope is better than the CLS and at about 1/4 the price too. The CLS is superbly effective, but compare f5 to f7.5 and you are already having to nearly double the exposure time for the same data capture, and whilst I used the CLS very effectively on my f5 scope, it's just a little but too much cut on the f7.5 scope. an FR would help there, but it's not essential at the outset.

Nice choice of mount and scopes, hard to beat rock steadiness for imaging.

I can get focus with my DSLR on my ED80 and ST80 so hopefully that'll be the case with yours too.

I also have a mask for the ED80 to help with focusing, but haven't yet had a chance to use it. I believe they are also very useful but I find with practice it is not hard to nail the focus using the zoom function on the DSLR LCD screen.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards

Adam

I got a couple of dewnot straps for keeping away the dew, these work very well, and imo something you'll need sooner rather than later.

wow what a response so i have revised my list a little based on feedback, some asked what DSLR for the moment an unmodified Sony A350 will swap this for a dedicated CCD (for xmas i hope)

So the revised list

Blinkys - Dew Straps 1 for each scope

Bahtinov - See Stay Focused Bahtinov masks from £9 (Powered by CubeCart)

Skywatcher LP filter for imaging scope

50mm extension tube for each scope to enable focusing

Power supply

Eyepieces for visual observing via the 80ED

John B

Decent power supply as previously mentioned, a leisure battery and good charger will last you a long time and serve you well. I get several full (6-8 hour) sessions with a similar setup and two dew heater bands from my 110Ahr leisure battery.

A 12v power adapter for the DSLR, camera batteries only last a couple of hours maximum in cold temperatures and these adapters don't cost much.

Ian

Archived