NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi,from yet another total beginner!

Jase71

Hi folk's.

After looking for a decent place to learn the ropes-I kinda liked the "feel" here.Looking forward to picking your brains! ;)

I had a small refractor as a kid (Many moons ago!),and recently decided i would love to get deeper into Astronomy... MUCH deeper!

Now approaching 40,and just cant stop gazing up in wonder. (And every time i do-its like being 10 all over again!)

To this end,i dashed out and bought the first scope i could find...tho i have a suspicion it may be a "dud". (though of course-its also equally likely that i am the problem,not the scope!)

Bought a Celestron 127EQ on Equatorial mount for the princely sum of £180.

After looking around online-it seems i paid too much,and could have got a much better scope for that.ho hum!

The scope has a 4mm and a 20mm erecting eyepiece,along with a 3x barlow.

The barlow is tacky as hell,and any time i tried it the image was awful.

Both eyepieces are Celestron made,with no other lettering etc on them.

Perhaps my biggest gripe is that it is very difficult to see through the eyepieces,with partial image obscured. (by what i have no idea!)

Anyway,I seem to have much to learn!

Had reasonable fun with Lunar observation,but really wanted to use it more for planetary/deep sky (including imaging)

Is the 127EQ suitable for such things?

And would new eyepieces make a difference,or should i just buy a better quality scope?

The label on the scope says "D-127mm F1=1000mm F/8"

I have a background in photography,so can understand focal lengths etc,just not sure how it impacts scope use.

Sorry for the "wall of text"!

Hello Jase71.

I - like you - have enthusiasm and a sense of wonder.

But - unfortunately for you - I am a bit of an astro-dunce.

My telescope-expertise runs as far as "look through the small end".

However - luckily for you - there are lots of clever, clued-up people on here, who can say lots of useful things to you (which will include only a minimum of long words).

But I can say welcome!

So - welcome! ;)

Archived