Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Busy Wednesday

Ambermile

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I reckon this would take maybe 25lbs each side safely. More than that and the tripode will collapse :)

Err, yes, that's the little 102 with the APM triplet I built up... other side is a 4" Fujinon TV Zoom lense.

Arthur

Steve, I made this one on Wednesday because I had actually told someone I was going to do it and he said he'd have it in return for painting the 22" for me (deep blue flecked primary and secondary boxes with silver base). I figured ot was time to get on with it!

I could make them I guess... this one will be gold anodised next week.

Arthur

Thanks all - but on a related note I was at the paintshop yesterday when the lacquer was going on the dob boxes. I think I am going to wet myself... They look awesome! Will be collecting them tomorrow, then doing the matt black bits with a brush. Whole lot should be going to Essex by the end of the week so that the mirror can be configured/coated... :sunny:

Got the extension for the Moonlite sorted today so that the focus knob sits at the top of the secondary box rather than at the focusser - also the aluminium plate that sits under it so that I can set the focuser level.

Arthur

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone care to comment on the pricing here?

Sounds fair (same price as the Bresser Giro, which has to be imported from Germany).

It is good to hear that you will be making more :D

Is the tripod one of yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Arthur, i may be interested. I'm in the market for an Alt Az mount. I was looking at the EZ-Touch mounts and the Giro2 mounts both of which are similar designs to yours. What would you put the load capacity of your mount at?

As for pricing, the EZ-touch is £400 with a tripod so you're in the right ball park.

The Portamount is £200 with a tripod, but obviously doesn't have as much capacity as your mount/the EZ-touch.

Well, the capacity is only restricte by how tightly you can clamp the OTA to be honest Gordon. Remember that by the nature of the mount you are hanging the OTA sideways and only hitting maybe 2" of the dovetail. I wouldn't want to see more than a couple of 8" SCT's or maybe two 5" refractors to be safe without a beefier clamp on there.

Arthur

Well i'de only be hanging a 3" APO, and maybe a 5" APO later on it. So i guess thats not heavier than 2 C8's.

Whats your lead time on one of these? I might start a rush and go for the Ambermile special rather than the EZ-Touch....

Which tripod do you supply with the mount? What about a mount only option?

Archived