Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera catching fire

Taff

It's not the best idea to leave batteries in your camera for substantial lengths of time if the camera is not regularly used. This is more to do with the batteries leaking and corroding terminals etc though.

Doubtful if modern rechargeable batteries would be prone to leaking, only if you use the old fashioned Leclanche type. These are usually the cheapest options for the sizes AAA through to C cells. Not used in nor recommended nor compatable for modern Dslrs or any electronic device. Alkalines are reasonably safe, but can leak if stored in damp locations. But this can damage your camera.

I wouldn't worry about leaving a battery in your kit, if stored in a dry safe place. If you were thinking about storing the camera for a long period, say 3 months or more, then you can take the battery out, but you will have to reset any stored info / options.

The LiIon batteries are not, as far as I know, likely to catch fire, unless you pierce them... but you really don't want to be anywhere near them if you put a hole in one of them. What they will do is discharge without use. The risk with this is, that the battery will discharge too far and then become useless. LiIon batteries are not designed for deep discharge and under normal circumstances, have a protection circuit that will switch everything off before it can fully discharge. I tend to operate on the charge it before it's half discharged as preventing low charge will extend the battery life.

I leave one of my batteries in the camera at all times... you never know when you might want to use it, equally, I don't think my camera has ever gone for more than a couple of days without being used...

Archived