Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange Sighting

Phil Fargaze

I noticed a south to north satellite visible to the naked eye just past the zenith at 20:17 BST. Behind it appeared a faint conical white cloud half a degree wide, which was moving along with it as if it was venting a gas. I rushed to get my 10x50 bins and confirmed the view. For reference, the object appeared to go behind an aircraft vapour trail, confirming it`s height. Also, an aircraft went past east to west shortly after and it did not appear to be followed by a conical cloud. Then, at 20:19 BST, after the first object was out of view behind the house, I noticed a naked eye visible conical cloud moving in the same direction but a little more to the west, this time a degree in width. There did not appear to be a point of light at it`s apex with naked eye or in the bins. It reminded me of the appearance of a comet but without the nucleus. It really was a bizarre couple of minutes. Any suggestions please? My only guess is that it was an effect of the upper atmosphere somehow scattering the light of objects in orbit.;)

Yep its weird alright .Ok there was a mist starting to descend on the area which does make starlight diffuse, but im sure this is not the explanation here.

first no other star in the sky was being affected like this. and when i saw the object low down it was very close to a star as a referance.

But looked very different, and was confirmed as comet like with binos. The large glowing cloud looked deifferent to other clouds that were around too. The fact that every other point of light was not affected IN THE SAME WAY. And over a large area is enough for me,

Especially when A star was so close to the object that was affected.

The binos only made that object look comet like. But did not anything else ?

Btw the time was around 20:25 but thats only a guess i could be off by a few minuets.

• 4 months later...
I don`t think it is the same as what NickH saw. What I saw was moving at the pace of a regular sattelite

Hello.....i've seen similar things but the objects I have spotted have been through my finderscope and on each occasion have not been visible by the naked eye.

The link below leads to a thread I started about this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/98298-what-did-i-see.html

Archived