SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"Horizon" programme on Pluto BB2 Thurday.

GazOC

21:00 Thurs 22nd

BBC2

Horizon

Series exploring topical scientific issues. Pluto is on the brink of being wiped off the solar system map. In a tragic end to a short life, the smallest and youngest planet could be relegated to the status of a mere asteroid. Scientists have mocked Pluto for years and the discovery of a potential tenth planet in our backyard could be the final nail in its coffin. As the International Astronomical Union tries to make up its mind, the film asks just how many planets there are in our solar system

Duration: 50mins

...Robust debate to follow...... :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds interesting. I like the idea that there are probably many more "Planetoids" out there Pluto being only the first of many, Xena etc included. Gives me hope that we have lots more resources than we initially thought, just a long way out.... I have to remember sometimes how large the suns gravity actually is, it contains 99% of all matter in our solar system, and the gravity "field" stretches out a lot further than pluto

The way I can see it going is that they admit that Pluto isn't a planet but, as it was discovered before we knew there were many such Kupier objects, we keep Pluto as a planet (to save rocking the boat) but any further such objects are classified as Kupier objects.

EDIT: I'll get me coat.............

What size Coat Gaz? :) :)

Insert Quote

The way I can see it going is that they admit that Pluto isn't a planet but, as it was discovered before we knew there were many such Kupier objects, we keep Pluto as a planet (to save rocking the boat) but any further such objects are classified as Kupier objects.

Iam in agreement with that Gaz if only to give respect too Tombaugh :)

Very true JD, The last thing I'd want is too take way from Tombaughs achievements, as far as the world (and astronomers) were concerned he did discover a planet. Unless something massive and in a planetary orbit turns up (I can't see it) then we should stick at 9 planets.

There are probably objects LARGER than pluto in the belt... What do we call them when we've called pluto a planet?

Kupier belt objects? I'm just saying make an exception for Pluto, it's been a planet for so long now...

• 2 weeks later...

Shall we start a seperate thead? Wink Put 'em up!!!!

Like is goto cheating at messier marthons? :)

Are you intentionally trying to provoke me?  :)

We can "debate" all you want.  It's up to the IAU, and I'll abide by their decision, whatever it is.

Quickly though, IMHO, Pluto is and should remain a planet.  True, if it was discovered today, it probably wouldn't be one.  But the fact is, it wasn't and was classified as a planet then. 

Quickly though, IMHO, Pluto is and should remain a planet.  True, if it was discovered today, it probably wouldn't be one.  But the fact is, it wasn't and was classified as a planet then. 

Thats exactly my attitude :)

Archived