NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello everybody

Breakintheclouds

Hello there,

I just wanted to introduce myself as I think I might be around here a little - if only lurking and getting lots of juicy tips. I've long been fascinated with the night sky, and have headed off on camping trips with the main purpose of staring into the stars, but for some reason never thought to buy a telescope until recently. But last week the sight of Jupiter proved too much and I got my first scope. I've already had a couple of good nights watching Jupiter, and last night I got sight of my first double star: very exciting!

Anyway, this seems to be a friendly place, and I'm particularly pleased to see that people from here have been hanging around near Salisbury, where I live. So I hope to be chatting to you all soon.

Hi from me too and if you local to Salibury somewhere on here is a Salisbury observing group - I'm sure they'd be happy to let you have a look through some scopes when they are out and bout - also every year there is a Salisbury star party where a lot of us go and you;d be very welcome I am sure to drop by and look through various scopes.

Hi Breakintheclouds,

A warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum, perhaps you could let us know what scope you acquired ?.

I got a Skywatcher Explorer 130P with the Synscan mount. Luckily, I've noticed that it seems to be fairly well thought of here (http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/71301-exp-130p-synscan-az-goto-review.html) which is a relief - I'd hate to have found a review saying "Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!" at this stage :D. Actually, I've been almost completely happy with it so far. I've just updated the firmware to the new version 3.07 so as soon as there's a break in the clouds I'll see if that makes the alignment more accurate. It's been slightly hit and miss so far: sometimes spot on and sometimes just slightly off - just far enough that when it slewed to an object, that object would be *just* outside the field of view of my widest-angle eyepiece, which was very frustrating!

Archived