SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42

Taff

Great start as mentioned :D

What camera were you using? at 20 subs I bet there is a load of info and data in there that you cant even see as yet. The black and white points look a little clipped, try going a little easier in the steps and use gentle curves to pull up the coloured areas. If you need any more help with it, send me a pm or something.

Good to see Orion making a showing on the boards now, a taste of things to come :D

Getting some short exposures for the core is your next move. You can do it by layer masking but there is an esier way which I have just tried with great success on Luminance. I think it would also work for colour. You take your short exposures - I used 60 secs and 10 secs. In Ps you paste the 60sec short onto the long, in Layers set Blend Mode to Normal, Opacity 100%. Then using a very soft edged erasor, fairly large, you just wipe away all of the top short layer, closing in on the core carefully to leave just the bit you want. Then you adjust the opacity to get a really smooth transition. Flatten Image. (Ctrl E). And then you do same for your 10 sec.

An alternative to the soft edged erasor is this; paste short onto long and draw a marquee around the part of the short you want to retain over the burned out section in the layer below. Put a good feather onto the selection, select Inverse, and then use a big erasor to wipe over the whole image. Only the bit you excluded will be left.

This really worked a treat for me, better than Layer Masking, so far. However, more tests needed so no guarantees!

Olly

Archived