Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Salisbury Plain Observing Group

gliderpilot

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Frustrating evening, took a chance on the meet going ahead as weather was not great at 6.30pm but by the time I got to the pub it was clear.

Unfortunately I either got the wrong pub (I was in the Rose and Crown), or the wrong bar (I was in the lounge bar), as the place was pretty empty :-(

Lesson is, next time get some mobile numbers!

Had bins with me and stopped outside Shrewton on return journey, managed to get a great view of Orion nebula (first time) and Andromeda, plus some meteors, so not all was lost.

Booger WS... I decided (after spending the day in Brizzle with my kids watching The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus - WTF is going on in Gilliams mind is truly worrying) that I'd setup on the 2mx3m "patio" (the bit they give you as paved outside space in new builds). Left the 'scope outside in lovely skies and watched Bruno (don't watch if you are easily offended - but funny as if you like that sort of thing) only to be greeted with the first strands of cloud... Got at least 10 minutes of observing in before the clouds rolled in good and proper... Left for 40 minutes, top be greeted with patchy skies. The 31mm, 10 minutes and a double cluster later the clouds came in for good so I packed away. I'm sure these new eyepieces are really good, but I haven't had time to find out yet.. grr... :rolleyes:

Wilts St: sorry we didn't meet, I was in the rose and crown till 2015 wondering where everyone else was before heading up to the observing site. Drop me a pm with your mob no and I'll pm you back.

Anyway jon and I met up and enjoyed a couple of hours under a clear sky before the rain came in. I'll write up my notes and post later.

As it is looking promising at 10-ish anyone fancy meeting tonight? I am on leave so no work tomorrow, wahoo.

Mark

Is there any chance we can arrange perhaps one meeting on a Thursday, the wife and I would love to attend but she works Fridays until 10pm. Perhaps we could have 2 meetings during December since it would be a holiday period for most people. It would be great and give us a chance to meet new friends....

Carl

Had a great time last night, apart from the fog lol. Still, great company and looking forward to the next one.

I would like to anounce our next meeting on the 18th of december to be held at Bratton camp in westbury. I will be going there tomorrow to find a decent place to set up :headbang:

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

The long awaited update lol.

Sorry for not getting back guys.. had a few family probs. I went up there the other night to have a look to see what it is like at night.. its not too bad, there is a bit of LP from westbury and trowbridge but not a huge amount.. i could still see the milkyway easy enough even with the moon shining. I went up there again today but was stopped in my tracks as a digger and shuttering is on the track, the shuttering there is used for deep drainage so i dont know if that entrance is closed for a while anyhoo there is another way up lol. the best place i have found to set up is a carpark ontop of the hill and there is a huge field there aswell.. WINDY AS HELL THOUGH, i will go up again tomorrow to scout for another place where the wind isnt so bad.. To be continued!.

Archived